Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Univ. of Maine today-

ROBERT DICK, World renowned as the leader in contemporary music for flute- Flutist – Composer – Improvisor – Author – Teacher – Inventor

Friday, November 2 - Saturday, November 3, 2018

FRIDAY
5- 6pm Friday NOVEMBER 2 - Minsky Recital Hall
CIRCULAR BREATHING FOR WIND AND BRASS PLAYERS

SATURDAY
1 -3pm Saturday NOVEMBER 3 - Minsky Recital Hall
FLUTE TONE PRODUCTION AND EXTENDED TECHNIQUES

7:30pm - Saturday NOVEMBER 3 - Minsky Recital Hall
ROBERT DICK, SOLO RECITAL

“A flutist whose technical resources and imagination seem limitless.”
— New York Times
“Dick held the audience in rapt attention with his spellbinding virtuosity”
— Washington Post
“There are few musicians that are truly revolutionary. Robert Dick is one of them.”
— Bill Shoemaker, JazzTimes
“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH…………”— Dizzy Gillespie

UNIVERSALLY REGARDED AS THE LEADER IN MUSIC FOR THE FLUTE IN OUR TIME
World renowned as the leader in contemporary music for flute, Robert Dick embodies the ideal of the Renaissance artist. With equally deep roots in classical music old and new and in free improvisation and new jazz, he has established himself as an artist who has not only mastered but redefined the instrument. Robert Dick has utterly dispensed with preconceptions about what a flutist should sound like and what a flutist should play. More than any flutist ever, Dick has reshaped the musical possibilities of the instrument, creating many thousands of new sonorities. Since he began composing and improvising in the 1970s, he has pursued the core idea that acoustic instruments are capable of sonic vocabularies and musical expression extending far beyond their traditional sonorities and musical roles. He draws from the jazz tradition, world music (especially Indian and African), electric and electronic music and natural sounds. His compositions, striking in the intensity and originality of their emotion, structures and sound, have been recognized with a Guggenheim Fellowship, two NEA Composers Fellowships and many grants and commissions.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone has a chance to see Robert Dick in your area, run don't walk! Incredible player- he did a talk on circular breathing yesterday, which I was kind of not excited about. But now I really want to learn it! He has the obligatory method book on the topic, but looks like a good book and really spells it out (it's a flute book but apparently is a hit with tuba players). I always thought of circular breahting as kind of a parlor trick, but he used it in compositions to make these long beautiful phrases, and he said some conservatories require learning. He actually has asthma, so I thought that was intersting that it doesn't limit him. Today he does a talk on extended techniques and a concert tonight. I was sitting maybe 20 feet from him and was completely blown away by his playing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
Wish I could go. Sounds great

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You can use circular breathing as a "parlor trick" - but check out Rahsaan Roland Kirk!

Actually, I think the current neglect of Rahsaan is a real loss to sax players' (and flute) understanding and background. There is so much to be learned from listening to his work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts