Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone-any assistance would be greatly appreciated. For many years I thought I had a "stenciled" Beuscher straight soprano with the Selmer American New York logo. However, after looking at the description at DrRick, it appears I have a "stenciled" Conn. The designation is as follows;
S
P23768
L

that is under the Pat. Dec. 8, 1914

I am thinking that using the Conn Serial number listing this horn should be in the 1912-1913 range. Any thoughts or comments would be most appreciated at your convenience. Sincerely, J.C. Feil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,301 Posts
J.C.: Welcome to SOTW. I am no expert on vintage Conns even though I've owned them in the past. Those numbers certainly appear to be done in the Conn-style of that era.

The L, by the way, means Low Pitch (a good thing).

The patent date and number are consistent with Conn's markings.

The low serial number seems consistent with the dates you listed, but I'd want to check other lists to corroborate that estimate.

The bigger question . . . how does it play? DAVE

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome jcfeil, it should be Conn stencil, I thought the P in the serialnumber is telling you it's a stencil. As for the date, stencil serials don't follow the charts so it's not the way to determine it's day of birth. Some pics might help for the 'connesseurs' to give some extra info.

And ofcourse Dave is right about the bigger question.:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
Conn for sure based on the P in the serial number. The Conn numbers don't match for stencils. If it has the thumb ring, it is probably from 1925-30 and the standard thumb rest, before that. I am not positive on the thumb ring but that holds true for the Pan-Americans, also a P serial number horn. It is also possible that there are rolled tone holes on the upper keys but not on the lower ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To Dave Dolson, Grumpie, Dave Dix, Bruce Bailey-Thank you for all of your helpful information. I have learned an immense amount in one day on the forum. I was a professional up until 1980-was co-leader of the Philadelphia Jazz Ensemble, numerous bands, played with Kenton at the clinics, studio work over the US. Have come out of retirement for a few reunion gigs-used to go on stage with seven saxes (Bb soprano, C soprano, alto, C melody, tenor , 2 baritones-all Conns but that's another story) but alas, all are gone except this one. Answers-it still ROARS up to high B (dark/full tone)-I am still using my original Selmer D 4* and standard Rico 3 1/2-then it gets a little thin but workable. I will try and get some pics up shortly-my sax guru, George Sarkis who was like a father to me and every saxophonist on the East Coast, just passed away last month at the age of 92-this was the final horn I purchased from him in 1972-last overhaul was 1975. No front F key and it does have a thumb ring so, by your info, probably in the 23-30 era. Again, thanks for your time, knowledge, and consideration. Sincerely, J.C.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this sax its says dec 8 1914 C 140282 L can some one give me some kind of info on it an if its worth anything
It looks like it in oraginal case would like to know info on it thank you tictac

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
It would be a C melody New Wonder series one made in 1924. Being that it is a C melody, not worth a lot but in good playing condition, $250-750 depending on the looks. Post some photos or a link to a photo site.

·
Fan Of Pan Am
414 Posts
A little late to say the least, but I thought I would reply to the original inquiry any way. This selemr American is a Pan American stencil from the 1924 to 1926 time period. I can lock in a model number if I can identify if it's a C or Bb.
As mentioned in the Pan American serial number study thread all stencils from the C G Conn Ltd company were produced in the Pan American factory which opened November 1919 and therefore are Pan American stencils after that date.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts