Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrote a couple tunes that have been recorded and will be distributed on CDBaby. Now I have to decide between ASCAP and BMI. What are all you jacket doing? 馃槂

Registered
Well... they all pay the same (88%). BMI is the largest. ASCAP costs $50 to join. You wanting direct deposit or check? The minimums are different... who would be performing the music? Which organization are they a member of? Technically SESAC exists too but... I want to say ASCAP may have more cost of living benefits discounts. Just kind of depends on what the royalties are for...

Registered
[Verse 3]
Hey, this ain't country western
It's just soft-rock feminist crap
And I thought they'd struck bottom
Back back in the days of Ronnie Milsap
Now they can't stop the flood of as&#oles
There ain't a big enough ASCAP

Robbie Fulks "F%ck This Town"

Registered
I've been with BMI for about 49 years. I still get the occasional payment for works from 1972. I remember a friend in L.A. telling me there was a place they played that had a sign on the stage that read "Don't play ASCAP tunes!". :)

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
In general, ASCAP is better. It鈥檚 an older organization and it鈥檚 also nonprofit which BMI is not. BMI got its start as a sort of anti-union scab org.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
It looks like both are ok options. I signed up with BMI 20+ years ago. Ocassionally they send me a few bucks.

Registered
On the other hand, BMI sent this out last week:

Registered
You'll be ok with either. One slight ASCAP advantage is the annual plus/standard awards which are not that difficult to get. (I think I have over ten of them and some from years with not a heck of a lot of activity.) They usually give $250 - $1000. If something material doesn't get monitored they're pretty good about accepting a notification through their online tool. Neither are reliable for monitoring of broadcast materials, which seem totally random.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to go with BMI - ASCAP has a $50 fee. I doubt if I'll make any money on anything I write. So FREE is better for me.

Registered
30 years ago I joined BMI because my teacher (Yusef Lateef) recommended it. I believe he told me something about the way BMI regarded concert music.

I have since composed and arranged a lot of music that is getting performed a lot of places, generally in live concerts 鈥 not in broadcast situations (Broadcast is the B in BMI).
I've received very little in payment from BMI, thought I don't know if it'd be different had I gone with ASCAP instead.

/Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts