Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Avel Sound Concept Borrum: Ace!

Automotive tire Line Grille Cylinder Office supplies

I've had this brand new ASC Borrum in 7 tip opening for a couple of weeks now, and I'm thorougly impressed in all categories. The more I get to play it, the more I find to enjoy. I'm still dialing in a few things about this piece, but have sampled it on the TOTM threads here, and have been practicing and shedding on it whenever time allows (bit hectic this last few months!).

I'm planning to do a much more thorough analysis, but just wanted to share some of my thoughts a couple weeks in.
The TONE!!! This thing is beautiful, I've never loved playing subtone as much as on this mouthpiece. Naturally though, the Borrum is slightly dark with a very subtle hint of resistance. The subtle resistance adds to the depth and color of the sound and allows for more change as the piece is pushed. I also normally have issues with darker pieces due to playing naturally very dark, but this doesn't get tubby like other pieces for me. The baffle gives it plenty of power (but its not going to compete with any high baffle pieces) and really makes for a fantastic balance with the way this plays. I also think the exterior design is stunning. Beautiful Silver plate, the logo design is phenomenal and the wind gust at the bottom. Great eye for design to add to what is already a superb mouthpiece. Thanks Max for making another top notch option at a killer price. Everyday of practice I'm getting more out of it and dialing in more to this beautiful sound I've not heard from myself before. Excited to keep growing into this piece!

So, I've just got done practicing and hit render on this little recording of 'In a Sentimental Mood'. Hope you enjoy the sound as much as I enjoy playing it and hope that comes across in my amateur attempt.

https://soundcloud.com/user-805266588%2Fin-a-sentimental-mood-borrum-test
With that said, I'll be continuing to play this beautiful piece and add more details here about it, including more recordings (Any Requests?). Also, I'll hope to get a chance to make a video review up on my Youtube and provide lots of visuals and more sound!

· Registered
2,084 Posts
I was really tempted by this. I have a Mosaic that I got for a good price on its way to me, but if that doesn't work out this is my next stop. You sound great!

· TOTM administrator
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was really tempted by this. I have a Mosaic that I got for a good price on its way to me, but if that doesn't work out this is my next stop. You sound great!
Both of those options are fantastic :)

· Affordable and Reliable Mouthpieces
921 Posts
Hi J, thanks a lot for your post and sorry for the late reply...

You sound awesome here. I am actually surprised how dark you sound on the Borrum. When I first tested it, I found it quite bright. In fact, I was a little worried you would not like it. It goes to show mouthpiece making is not an exact science and there are huge variables between players.

Also thank for being one of the first adopters of the Borrum. Yours is the second one made!

· Affordable and Reliable Mouthpieces
921 Posts
You won't be disappointed by the Mosaic. I have one myself and it is probably the piece I have kept the longest in my collection.

· Registered
2,084 Posts
You won't be disappointed by the Mosaic. I have one myself and it is probably the piece I have kept the longest in my collection.
My only concern is that it's a 7*, which is a little bigger than I typically prefer. Still, I got it for a very good price that I just couldn't pass up so I'll remain optimistic. I still want to try a Borrum (probably a 6*) one of these days.

Reactions: J-Moen

· TOTM administrator
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi J, thanks a lot for your post and sorry for the late reply...

You sound awesome here. I am actually surprised how dark you sound on the Borrum. When I first tested it, I found it quite bright. In fact, I was a little worried you would not like it. It goes to show mouthpiece making is not an exact science and there are huge variables between players.

Also thank for being one of the first adopters of the Borrum. Yours is the second one made!
I certainly have a very dark natural state of playing, which is certainly a cause for me avoiding certain types of pieces. But this one balances out very well for me.

To add, I did some routines with overtones and altissimo today for the first time on this piece. Happy to report everything is a breeze within my natural range on tenor (which isn't much). My range was improved on this mouthpiece though. I'm going to put together another recording soon of a tune where I can push this piece and show it getting a bit grittier with another huge surprise I just discovered I can do with this piece!

· TOTM administrator
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally had an opportunity to get something out where I can push this piece a bit more. I'm really enjoying the way this thing plays. Check out my recording of Stand By Me

· Registered
2,084 Posts
I just got my Borrum 6* in silver, and it's fantastic! Now I need to convince myself to sell off some of my other pieces.

Reactions: meven ASC

· Registered
2,813 Posts
I just got my Borrum 6* in silver, and it's fantastic! Now I need to convince myself to sell off some of my other pieces.
what other pieces are now deemed redundant by the Borrum?

· Registered
2,084 Posts
what other pieces are now deemed redundant by the Borrum?
I don't know that "redundant" is the right word, just "different." For example, I have two Lawton 'P' chamber pieces, a 6 and an 8*. The 6 has a short facing, and is really focused; the 8* has a much longer facing, is more spread, and has a subtone to make Ben Webster blush! The Borrum is a little darker than both, and somewhere in between on focus. And it's a touch brighter and more powerful than my early Mosaic. I like all the pieces, but the Borrum seems to fall right in the sweet spot between the other three. It gets me closer to my ideal Dexter-type tone than the others. I think the Mosaic could do that for me, but it seems like the kind of piece that you need to work with for a while, like a Rascher, to get the sound you want. That's fine, I love those types of pieces, but for the moment I just don't have the time.

I really need to spend some more time A-B'ing it with my rubber/plastic pieces.

I haven't played metal in a long time -- the Lawton 8* sat in the drawer for ages, the others are fairly new acquisitions -- but I was surprised how easy it was to get used to the metal form factor again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts