Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some background to my situation : I have a tech who i like and trust. He has been servicing my horns for about 10 years now. He used to work in the shop of the music store. Now he works from home and the shop shuttles the instruments to him.

Now - just last week I brought a tenor in that I started playing again after having sat for about two years. The main thing that needed attention was a loose neck tenon that needed expanding. So much so that it not only spun when fully tightened but also wobbled a bit. I told the store manager who was assisting me the ticket. He wrote up the work order as a basic checkup -
  • Install new key corks and pads as needed
  • Seat pads and adjust as needed
  • Spot lubricate
  • Regulate spring tension
  • test play
  • final inspection

I asked him to make a note about the loose neck. He didn't and told me that the tech is a "pro sax player" (which I already know) and that he will find that in his work up.

So my question to the techs out there. When a horn comes to you wouldn't you want to know why it came in? Or do you just go through a checklist of things and get back to the owner with recommended repairs/adjustments?

I know a loose neck is an obvious thing issue but - still - wouldn't you want that on the work order?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
R'man, I'm with you. I encountered a similar issue in my previous location. The store got a new manager that forbade the tech to talk with his established customers, and instead had the front desk process all incoming repairs. I stopped going to that store for anything.

absolutely. there are only two guys I trust around here. K
I'd appreciate a PM regarding who they are, if you aren't up to posting their names.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
As a tech, rule #1: The Customer Is Always Right!!! Always!!!! They know that they want, and that is sure to be a point to be given.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R'man, I'm with you. I encountered a similar issue in my previous location. The store got a new manager that forbade the tech to talk with his established customers, and instead had the front desk process all incoming repairs. I stopped going to that store for anything.

I'd appreciate a PM regarding who they are, if you aren't up to posting their names.
PM sent

As a tech, rule #1: The Customer Is Always Right!!! Always!!!! They know that they want, and that is sure to be a point to be given.
Yeah - I got the feeling the manager was brushing me off because he horn in question was "just a YTS-23"

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You have no loyalty to the music store. Especially when it comes to repair work. So, you should see if the tech would deal with you direct. Cut out the middle man. If you have his number or address go direct to him for service. He may turn you down because he feels a loyalty to the store, but something tells me he has his own clients outside the store, that's why he's working from home.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
1,994 Posts
You have no loyalty to the music store. Especially when it comes to repair work. So, you should see if the tech would deal with you direct. Cut out the middle man. If you have his number or address go direct to him for service. He may turn you down because he feels a loyalty to the store, but something tells me he has his own clients outside the store, that's why he's working from home.
Totally agree! Tech can even make a few more bucks while probably saving you a few as well. I wouldn’t work with anyone who doesn’t ask why I’m bringing the horn in and what work I want done!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yeah - I got the feeling the manager was brushing me off because he horn in question was "just a YTS-23"
In which case he'd be astonishingly ignorant. That's a very good sax.

In the time he took to answer you, he could've scribbled "check neck tenon fit"

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
That's very weird. It would take them less time to just write it than to explain why they won't... to be honest flat out refusing to write it sounds like they are either stupid or an *******.

I always ask what's the problem, even when the owner doesn't say. It can save a lot of time. Sure I'll probably go through the entire instrument, but some issues only affect very specific things. Why not have the owner tell you in two seconds...
for example one person just asked me to add a strap ring to a metal clarinet... how was I suppose to know that from being a professional player and checking the instrument...? :geek:

Like others said, if you have a way to contact the repairer directly I would try that and see if he also works not through the store.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
There's a store here locally that does this as well, the tech works from home and they shuttle the horns to him. It does work out in my case as it is someone I've worked and gigged with in the past and if I need to I know I can call and stop by his home.

If I do leave it at the shop I can call him to let him know my horn is there and he'll call me back when he's going over it, so they can write whatever they please on the ticket.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
+1 there is a shop local here that only 'allows' you to talk to the woman up front.
This is why i go instead to NYC and pay higher prices to have my work done.
Same happens in a store closest to me :(. I also drive 45 minutes instead to San Francisco to get my horns worked on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,968 Posts
I understand these setups from the point of view of a tech - he/she has his/her full shop in a different location and as the music store probably doesn't have either space or repair traffic to warrant a full-time contracting position IN the store itself, the horns just get shuttled.

Where it gets odd (unacceptable, actually) is where the store has a policy that ANY communication between tech and customer must go thru the store clerk (a dynamic which I have read about in a few threads here over the years).

In the case of the OP's situation -

It would take them less time to just write it than to explain why they won't...
Exactly. Pure stupidity, and just the clerk playing a power game. In the future, if you deal with this person again, if necessary INSIST upon noting on repair ticket what you need to note. See what happens ....

+1.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
As an experienced repair tech I appreciate a customer directing my attention to any areas of concern and I make a habit of listing those things on the repair ticket. On the other hand I don't find those comments necessary for me to do a through inspection of the sax and make a comprehensive assessment of what needs to be done and what it will cost. After all, that is what I am trained to do. ;)

One of my favorite stories of when I worked in the repair shop of a local music store before opening my own shop. A saxophone came in with a note that simply said "there's a wubber in the low notes". It sounds funny, but even funnier, I knew exactly what the student meant. On the repair receipt I wrote "wubber removed".

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I only wanted my wubber repaired and fine tuned, not removed.

<sigh>, no one listens . . . .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Amazing experience yesterday visiting Sax ProShop/Music Medic yesterday. They certainly listened to my issue, but then Ryan found it in a place I never expected.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Amazing experience yesterday visiting Sax ProShop/Music Medic yesterday. They certainly listened to my issue, but then Ryan found it in a place I never expected.
OK, what’s the story?

Curious,

George

1 - 20 of 53 Posts