Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question, but what key is the Artie Shaw arrangement in? I haven't got a recording to judge it by.
I've usually played it in C concert (D on clarinet) but I got to play it in D concert !!(E on clarinet) the other night. Mind you the lip gliss was easier, B to B istead of going over the break! Which one is the right key? Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
artie shaw begin the beguine

dont remember the original key,but am pretty sure it wasnt D concert !!
that was the first tune I tried to play on my first clarinet, (an old high pitched simple system !)What a great arrangement that was>>>>>..
You can always find it somewhere on the net,or probably UTunes. I wonder if there"s an Artie Shaw "ghost" band playing all that stuff. There is a great clarinet player that plays with the studio band on the "Nero Wolfe" film series,I would love to know who that guy is.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Original Cole Porter version was in C.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The clarinet solo version we play in big band, which I think is an Artie Shaw transcription/arrangement, is in Concert D Major (E Major for clarinet).

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
The transcription done by Jeff Hest, who in my opinion does very accurate stuff is in D concert. Listening to the various live recordings I have of Artie playing it, I'd say that's the correct key. Having said that, I also have a transcription that's in Eb concert, which lays very nice on the horn!
D or Eb is a trivial thing. It's how well it's played that matters!

Hope this helps.
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts