Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Articulation has been my weakest area - forever. I have a large tongue - not a little big but huge. (I know is personal but the key to issue) As a kid, there just didn't seem to be any room so I learned to anchor tongue. Unfortunately, I also sucked in my bottom lip to a point of disappearing. Over the last 25 years, I've worked to correct this but my tongue has only gotten larger. I really been working on articulation intensely over the past few months to slay this demon.

On a side note, I been getting more serious about clarinet. For years, I have a slurpy - klezmer quality to my middle register and that dread undertone on the A above the staff. So this week, I read a few clarinet sites and determine that if I use a "DEE" rather than a "T" it pointed my tongue. I also worked to flatten the middle of my tongue to take it out of play. I spent an hour or so working this tongue position and the A was clearing up.

So back to saxophone, I decided to give High, Low, "DEE" tongue position a try on tenor and "BAM" - I could not believe the difference. Basically my middle tongue was still in a high position (from anchor tonguing days) and must have be messing with the air speed creating intermittent low register issue.

I don't know if this a real break-through or just a good day. Tomorrow will be the decider. [Edited to keep is on topic] :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
I'm not going to touch that last line... Not... Not..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts