Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of this has been covered in numerous threads on SOTW but I thought it would be good to address the issue of Counterfeit Vintage Mouthpieces on my site just because I get so much traffic on there concerning sax mouthpieces.

https://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2019...terfeit-vintage-saxophone-mouthpieces-galore/

The goal of the article is just to inform readers and warn them about this issue as a lot of people don't take the time to read through hundreds of posts and threads on SOTW.

If you have any insights or anything to add in regard to the article please feel free to add it to the comments below the article so that your experience or insight can help others. Thanks, Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,078 Posts
Thank you for the excellent article, Steve! It was very wise having these sent to someone like Brian Powell, and the in-depth investigation and testing behind his conclusions are very helpful. We live in an era of rampant fraud and it's good to empower people with as much truth-detection capacity as possible, good on ya.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
FakeBuster's list of known counterfeiters in the comments section is also very useful and valuable to prospective buyers. Hopefully that list gets updated constantly and gets widely disseminated. In fact, I'm not sure if there's already a thread here with such a list (might be a good idea to start and maintain one).

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,446 Posts
You would think the fakers could make good money making them and calling them something else since they apparently play great. Then it would be a legitimate business. Plenty of guys make clones of great mouthpieces. The problems start when they decide to get rich quick and make replicas.

·
4,580 Posts
You would think the fakers could make good money making them and calling them something else since they apparently play great. Then it would be a legitimate business. Plenty of guys make clones of great mouthpieces. The problems start when they decide to get rich quick and make replicas.
Yeah but that requires actually building a brand, marketing, etc.

It's just a lot easier to piggyback off of someone else's hard work and steal money that way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
I am more interested in vintage metal STM Links than their vintage rubber counterparts. Is there any evidence of fake metal Links on ebay and elsewhere?

·
7,906 Posts
There are lost sax copies of metal links around by different makers, but they are not sold as original pieces.
Some of them are excellent.

·
7,906 Posts
I do recall seeing some fake Dukoff Hollywood models on eBay in the past.
And there are some resin copies of Brilhart Hard Rubber pieces about too.
The give away for them is the serial number is the same on each one.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a public service announcement that these guys are still around and trying to rip you off. I just heard from someone a few days ago that bought a supposed vintage Meyer from Bulgaria.

Also, be aware that they probably sold a bunch of pieces before my article even came out so many players and sellers might have these and be trying to sell them without even knowing they are counterfeits. Be careful buying vintage pieces and ask a lot of questions!

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's a Bulgarian seller that lists a dozen vintage mouthpieces at a time and most of their feedback is set to "private listing". That should look pretty suspicious, but people still bid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts