1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Art Pepper was a monster!!! One of my early faves along with Bird and Jackie Mac. He had a totally unique sound. Thanks for posting The Trip, Tim! I hadn't heard that one before.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anyone ever read his book? What an interesting and sad life...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
He is the alto player that made me rethink the alto when I discovered him.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Hey thanks for posting that one Tim. I practically wore out that record (yes, I had the vinyl recording just before CDs came out), and 'The Trip' is one of the best tracks.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Anyone ever read his book? What an interesting and sad life...
I really enjoyed his book. A brutally honest look into the abyss! But he had a great sense of humour and there was a lot of beauty in there also (strange as that may sound), if you could read between the lines.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Lot of people don't like later Pepper, i love it.
I had to put the book away because it was depressing me to much. Then after half year i finished it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good news for Pepper fans is that there is now a CD release of the legendary concerts at Ronnie Scott's in 1980. This material used to be available only as two LPs Blues for the Fisherman and True Blues, under the name of the pianist Milcho Leviev. Absolutely wonderful recordings, and in my opinion anyway, just about the best late Pepper ever recorded. Now the session is available on 4 CDs, with more tunes and introductions, all outstanding. Check out Blues for the Fisherman: Unreleased Art Pepper Vol VI (4 disc set)—as part of Laurie Pepper's Widow's Taste label. It's essential listening, it's a vital label that gives Laurie proper recognition, (she played a major part in writing Straight Life) and it's great music.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts