Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,494 Posts
Very nice looking horn. I have an art deco Buescher tenor that looks almost as good but is from 1950.
Hey Keith, are you sure about that 1950 date? I don't see how your art deco tenor could be from 1950. I think these series one tenors with art deco engraving are all pre-war, the latest being circa 1940.

·
Registered
‘38 Buescher AristoTenor, ‘66 Martin Magna Tenor
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Those vintage mouthpieces play best in normal tip openings like that.
Instead of trying to use a 2 x 4 to play it, try the softest reed you can play on it that won’t close up. I do that with a Slant 4 and a C* I have. Tons of color and you can practice all day.
Those old Dukoffs are great playing mouthpieces. Look at the detail of the baffle. They don’t do that anymore.
Although I haven’t measured the TO properly with a gauge it looks like something between .09-.100 so a modern 6-7. Probaby going up around a half strength would be a start.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Hey Keith, are you sure about that 1950 date? I don't see how your art deco tenor could be from 1950. I think these series one tenors with art deco engraving are all pre-war, the latest being circa 1940.
Yeah, I didn't look that closely to the OP's pics. mine is engraved in a similar way but more flowery and less deco. Maybe what the Buescher experts call Scroll engraving?? Serial # 333XXX. It is in very similar condition and plays wonderfully.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,753 Posts
Right, my early Big B was made in 1940 and is 293,xxx

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,494 Posts
Yeah, I didn't look that closely to the OP's pics. mine is engraved in a similar way but more flowery and less deco. Maybe what the Buescher experts call Scroll engraving?? Serial # 333XXX. It is in very similar condition and plays wonderfully.
Ah yes. Yours is the later script-engraved 156 Aristocrat, with a larger bell flare. I also have one of those (I have 2 Buescher tenors and a MkVI). The 156 is identical to the later Big B, aside from the different engraving. Also a fantastic horn. I find the earlier art deco to be more focused and the 156 slightly more 'free-blowing' with a more spread sound. Both are great horns with a huge sound. I've never been able to decide which I prefer.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts