Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sax Alley got my new Forestone Soprano reed to me today! I have to say, it's the best synthetic reed I've ever tried for soprano. It's much better than Legere Signature or Fibracell for me. What I like about it is more volume and better tone, especially at a distance for being lead over a band. It takes some getting used to, but not too much. The sides of my mouth like the feel of the reed. It's not hard and chafe-ish like a hard cane reed can be on soprano, but it's not so thin that it's strange and slippery and not-there-enough. These are my first impressions. I think it's a reed I can pick up and play in the middle of a gig without cringing to think in what way it will betray me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's interesting how the different horns have different requirements. I haven't found any synthetic reed I like on my tenor yet.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I tried a #4 reed for the Alto and it was way too soft. The funny thing was it that the stiffness of the #4 was the same as the #3.5, #3 and #2.5. I did find the #3.5 on soprano playable and at least initially it had an okay stiffness/resistance but the longer I played it the softer it got. I've gone back to either Legere or cane depending on the instrument.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts