Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
P. Mauriat 67R with vintage Long Shank Soloist and Select Jazz.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently purchased an AM Ankh from Arnold Montgomery on Instagram. It arrived this past Monday, and I've played on it for the past few days. I'm coming from a Meyer 5m, and I was looking for something with more projection than my Meyer.

The Ankh has blown me away. It's beautifully dark, responds perfectly, and projects with little effort.

These are my initial impressions, and I honestly just don't know a whole lot about how to describe mouthpieces. Arnold gave me a great deal, and it shipped promptly. I may post a few video clips comparing it to my Meyer later. I'm still adjusting to it, especially intonation-wise.

I'm currently playing on Hemke 3s, but I'm looking to experiment with other reeds as well. I've tried Java Greens, Java Reeds, and ZZs. I didn't like any of them. I currently play in a big band and a small combo. They're my main uses for the piece. If you have reed suggestions I'd love to hear them!

· Registered
3,303 Posts
Other reeds worth trying would be D'Addario Select Jazz, Rigotti Gold and Vandoren V16. Coming from Hemke 3, strengths 3M Select Jazz, 3 Strong or 3.5 Light Rigotti, and 3 V16 respectively are what I suggest starting with.

Don't worry about how you describe mouthpieces or sounds. There is a lot a variation in what people call "dark" in this forum for example.

· Registered
2,813 Posts
Hey all,

I recently purchased an AM Ankh from Arnold Montgomery on Instagram. It arrived this past Monday, and I've played on it for the past few days. I'm coming from a Meyer 5m, and I was looking for something with more projection than my Meyer.

The Ankh has blown me away. It's beautifully dark, responds perfectly, and projects with little effort.

These are my initial impressions, and I honestly just don't know a whole lot about how to describe mouthpieces. Arnold gave me a great deal, and it shipped promptly. I may post a few video clips comparing it to my Meyer later. I'm still adjusting to it, especially intonation-wise.

I'm currently playing on Hemke 3s, but I'm looking to experiment with other reeds as well. I've tried Java Greens, Java Reeds, and ZZs. I didn't like any of them. I currently play in a big band and a small combo. They're my main uses for the piece. If you have reed suggestions I'd love to hear them!
If you're still lovin' your new piece please try Gonzales Jazz 3s / Stuere Jazz 2.5s / Alexander Superial NYs at 3 strength.

· Registered
2,080 Posts
I picked up a Phoenix for my bari during his Black Friday sale, and it's pretty killer. Kinda wish I had gotten a slightly more open tip, but I'm impressed enough that I picked up an Ankh for soprano during Valentine's Day sale. Now I just have to wait patiently and try not to buy any other new pieces...

Reactions: J-Moen

· Registered
219 Posts
Hey all,

I just got my AM ARAS 9. I use a Fibracell 2 1/2. It took a little getting used to but intial impressions are the clarity of the tone up and down the scale including G-3 which is notoriously stuffy. My Altissimo range is limited (C# - 4) but the tone is clear clean and full. It's pretty bright and projects!!! I tested it on my decibel meter and it went to 104 effortlessly. I'll have to work a bit to get the ppp full and quiet; but I just got the piece yesterday.

· Registered
3,158 Posts
I’m a fan of the AM mouthpieces. My tenor AMSS is great, been playing it since last spring. I’ve tried a couple other models on tenor and alto, and zoning in on what configuration of baffle/chamber works for me on alto. Recently picked up an AMSS alto and a blue heron tenor, and enjoying trying them out. On tenor, the AMSS gets a touch bright at times but I appreciate it’s flexibility. Surprisingly, the Blue Heron isn’t that much darker and has tons of power with a lower baffle. On alto, still trying to figure it out. My initial thought was the AMSS has a little too much baffle, but playing it more I’m getting into it and finding it can go in a lot of tonal directions which is great. Going to check out another darker model offering on alto to compare. What I like about all the Montgomery mpcs is their voice, I feel like they have a character and flexibility that lets me shape the sound. I’ve not found that with some modern mpcs I’ve been trying. I’ll work on getting some sound samples out soon, I’ve wanted to play on these mpcs for a bit before I did so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.