Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently purchased an AM Ankh from Arnold Montgomery on Instagram. It arrived this past Monday, and I've played on it for the past few days. I'm coming from a Meyer 5m, and I was looking for something with more projection than my Meyer.

The Ankh has blown me away. It's beautifully dark, responds perfectly, and projects with little effort.

These are my initial impressions, and I honestly just don't know a whole lot about how to describe mouthpieces. Arnold gave me a great deal, and it shipped promptly. I may post a few video clips comparing it to my Meyer later. I'm still adjusting to it, especially intonation-wise.

I'm currently playing on Hemke 3s, but I'm looking to experiment with other reeds as well. I've tried Java Greens, Java Reeds, and ZZs. I didn't like any of them. I currently play in a big band and a small combo. They're my main uses for the piece. If you have reed suggestions I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Other reeds worth trying would be D'Addario Select Jazz, Rigotti Gold and Vandoren V16. Coming from Hemke 3, strengths 3M Select Jazz, 3 Strong or 3.5 Light Rigotti, and 3 V16 respectively are what I suggest starting with.

Don't worry about how you describe mouthpieces or sounds. There is a lot a variation in what people call "dark" in this forum for example.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts