Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Army Jazz Ambassadors, the premiere jazz band in the military, are on the road from October 13 through November 16. The band will be going through WV, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, MN, MI. Itinerary and ticket info (all shows are free but most are ticketed) can be found at our website. www.jazzambassadors.com

Also, audition info regarding upcoming sax opening can also be found there.

If you're a SOTW person and show up at a concert, come on up and say hi to me, I'm on second alto.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
1,370 Posts
You guys are in Willoughby on November 14th - I will look for you then.
Any other Clevelanders planning on heading out that night?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Is Andy Axerlad still playing lead? If so, punch him in the head for me... :) we went to North Texas together and played in Lab Band for a semester together.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
littlefeet, Thank you for being so informative and welcoming. That's totally cool.

I see that according to the US Army, "The Jazz Ambassadors is the United States Army's premier touring jazz orchestra." (http://www.jazzambassadors.com/pages/ensembles/ja.html), so you seem to have a point. OTOH, the Army Blues and the Navy Commodores jazz ensembles are as fine as any, IMO. It just doesn't seem right not to mention them, too. :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
cann0nba11 said:
Is Andy Axerlad still playing lead? If so, punch him in the head for me... :) we went to North Texas together and played in Lab Band for a semester together.
Andy is with the Airmen of Note (unless he switched services) and I know he was on their 2006 recordings.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
Al Stevens said:
Don't forget the Airmen of Note.
I knew I forgot something. It's the story of my life these days. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Agent27 said:
Andy is with the Airmen of Note (unless he switched services) and I know he was on their 2006 recordings.
I always get everyone confused in those bands. I went to school with Mike Buckley (lead bone) and played a few big band gigs with Andrew Layton. Is he playing alto or tenor? Andy has a sweet alto tone. Tell him Paul from The Collection Big Band says hi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cann0nba11 said:
I always get everyone confused in those bands. I went to school with Mike Buckley (lead bone) and played a few big band gigs with Andrew Layton. Is he playing alto or tenor? Andy has a sweet alto tone. Tell him Paul from The Collection Big Band says hi.
Mike Buckley plays third bone. And Andrew plays lead alto. He's the best I've ever played under.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jazzbluescat said:
Wish y'all were coming to eastern NC. *disappointment*
We'll be through the Carolinas next spring and will probably play in Greenville, NC, hopefully at ECU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Al Stevens said:
Harumph. Not everyone would agree with that assessment. :D
Probably not. And each of the bands think they are the best. All the bands have some big guns. But I am totally confident that we have the most swinging rhythm section. And we rehearse and perform together more than the Note or Commodores and way more than the Blues. And I think our band has gone past playing together so much that we have that awful description of being "tight". Instead it has gotten us to the point where we are really loose. In the best way.

Now, everyone I know in the other bands is probably going to come to my house and kick my butt.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Joined
·
1,370 Posts
Personally, I dont want ANYONE in the military in ANY capacity NOT thinking they are the best at their job!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,313 Posts
littlefeet said:
Now, everyone I know in the other bands is probably going to come to my house and kick my butt.
Let's see. You're in Laurel. That's near Dorsey. I was born there. Still have relatives there. I can send somebody over. :)
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
Them's Fightin' Words

Al Stevens said:
Let's see. You're in Laurel. That's near Dorsey. I was born there. Still have relatives there. I can send somebody over. :)
Tonight I spoke to my teacher, who plays with the Army Blues. He agreed that the Ambassadors are the Army's premier touring jazz band, but only because The Blues isn't a "touring band". Maybe Al won't have to send anyone over after all. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
littlefeet said:
The Army Jazz Ambassadors, the premiere jazz band in the military,
Well I bet littlefeet is in the Army? Well me being an Active duty Sailor, I've heard all the branches different bands. All of the jazz bands are really good but the Army's is not the premiere. Actually the Air Force has the best band I've heard. The Army is very good though. I know people transfer and come in but I've heard the Air Force several times and they are always the best.

Great they are on tour. Too bad I am on the West Coast now!

And I am sure that out rank you. So agree with me littlefeet:D
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
3,875 Posts
Pure Magic said:
Well I bet littlefeet is in the Army? Well me being an Active duty Sailor, I've heard all the branches different bands. All of the jazz bands are really good but the Army's is not the premiere. Actually the Air Force has the best band I've heard. The Army is very good though. I know people transfer and come in but I've heard the Air Force several times and they are always the best.

Great they are on tour. Too bad I am on the West Coast now!

And I am sure that out rank you. So agree with me littlefeet:D
Like littlefeet said in the first post, he is 2nd Alto for the Ambassadors. :D

Ranking the premier bands can be a crapshoot. Among regional bands, the general consensus is 1)Air Force 2)Navy 3)Army. Not that great musicians don't come out of all the branches. My college big band had a jazz trumpet player and bassist come from the Navy and a drummer from the Air Force. I play in a big band now where the jazz trumpet player came out of the Army. They're all fantastic musicians. I'm probably going into the Navy bands next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Agent27 said:
They're all fantastic musicians. I'm probably going into the Navy bands next year.
Agreed!!! Whenever the Military bands are in town. My family and I go! I am not in the Navy Band but I have a lot of respect for the Armed Forces Bands. They really do help with morale.

And yes Agent I did see where he said he is a member of the Army’s band but to say any of the bands is the best is hard to say, even if you are a member. They are all outstanding!
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top