Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a crossroads with my Armstrong Heritage flute ~1975.

It has the cursive Armstrong script with the block letters below and serial number H-3529. It has french pointed arms on the non-open holes of the body.

I do not see thin wall written on it. I bought this new in 1975. I am not happy with the head joint--it seems stiff in harsh, especially in the high register--seems to need a lot of air and air speed compared to the more silky higher register I have found with my Yamaha 471. I have had trouble finding a new head joint that fits--they are too big. The diameter of the barrel of my Heritage measures 20 mm.

What options do you suggest for a new headjoint that would fit and complement it? I assume trying to sell it "as is" would fetch ~$500 and an overhaul seems hard to justify...

Also-it plays well--are new pads "automatically" needed given its age?

Heritage
BY
ARMSTRONG
ELKHART
H-3529

·
Registered
8 Posts

It has the cursive Armstrong script with the block letters below and serial number H-3529. It has french pointed arms on the non-open holes of the body.

I do not see thin wall written on it. I bought this new in 1975. I am not happy with the head joint--it seems stiff in harsh, especially in the high register--seems to need a lot of air and air speed compared to the more silky higher register I have found with my Yamaha 471. I have had trouble finding a new head joint that fits--they are too big. The diameter of the barrel of my Heritage measures 20 mm.

What options do you suggest for a new headjoint that would fit and complement it? I assume trying to sell it "as is" would fetch ~$500 and an overhaul seems hard to justify...

Heritage
BY
ARMSTRONG
ELKHART
H-3529
I have a heritage flute and a55b flute sometimes called a heritage 11 the one you are talking about I would suspect to be a hand made thin wall thats ths reason the other head joints don,t fit .mine has a beautiful high register with great projection no effort to play. I had a Yamaha 600 series and a Murumatsu but they did not come anywhere near this flute.
\Flutedog

·
Registered
251 Posts

Thin wall flutes have few choice options unless you ream the barrel larger. As with some of the old Haynes thin walls, you can go for a Gold headjoint. Altus makes 2 thin walled headjoints, both handmade seamed tubes for our 1607 and 1807 series. These are generally the same thickness as gold tubes @.30mm and will fit or can be reasonably sized to fit a small barrel. The tubes are either 958 britannia or 946 Altus silver, 3 cuts, etc...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,119 Posts
All Armstrongs are quite small. Some heads just can't be sized that far down. Not just the thinwall Armstrongs, it is even the student 104s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MY thinwall Heritage (Ser # H2070) also had a disgustingly unresponsive head joint. The embouchure hole was almost rectangular, and took a tank of air. I found a David Wimberly head joint that gives it excellent response and tone over the full range of the instrument, and had it sized to fit the Armstrong receiver by Jeff Denning. If I want to use it with my standard wall Heritage (Ser # H 1084) I have to insert a shim with it. SO, yes, the Armstrong Thinwall (at least mine ) seems to be smaller bore than many flutes. I understand that Jack Moore was head of Heritage division during the 1960/70 period, adn is apparently friends with David Wimberly, so it may be that Wimberly head joints work better with these flutes than some others may; I don't know.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Heritage
BY
ARMSTRONG
ELKHART
H-3529

I know it's been a while since this thread last saw daylight but I'll try anyway. Do you still have the Heritage?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts