Sax on the Web Forum banner

Aristocrat tenor out of tune in upper register

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave dix 
#1 ·
Hello,

I recently acquired a model 156 aristocraft tenor that is terribly out of tune on all of the palm keys and altissimo F# + G. These notes are so flat that if I push in the mouthpiece to compensate for it, the low notes sound crappy because I'm lipping down so much. If I play normally the high E sounds like a high Eb.
I have been playing sax for about 10 years and have never come across this problem before, so I'm certain it is not my embochure.
Oh I even tried cutting down the cork on the neck to increase the mouthpiece chamber size, and letting the cork hang over to decrease the chamber size, no luck.

#4 ·
I am using a selmer soloist E and i've tried 2, 2 1/2, 3, and 3 1/2 reed strength, all with the same result.

I haven't checked the palm key heights, but I think they are opening enough so that the pitch isn't being lowered by them, but i'll have to check that tonight (I'm at work right now).

#8 ·
Well, I tried the front high F and it was even more flat than the palm key F. However, the front altissimo mechanism wasn't completely opening the F palm key. When i opened it all the way, I got pretty much the same pitch as the original palm F fingering. The front E adding the G# was almost right on pitch.

#9 ·
crappybundy said:
Hello,

I recently acquired a model 156 aristocraft tenor that is terribly out of tune on all of the palm keys and altissimo F# + G. These notes are so flat that if I push in the mouthpiece to compensate for it, the low notes sound crappy because I'm lipping down so much.
Well, I hope you get this problem solved or you might have to change your name to CrappyAristocrat!:( Seriously, though, I suggest you take it in to a professional repairman because mine plays almost perfectly in tune all the way up. I'm sure it's just a simple adjustment of some kind. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.