Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I picked up a series 1 crat tenor a couple months ago. The neck is a lighter shade but it looks like what it should with the octave key circling all the way around. I played it a little and really liked the tone and I can deal with the keywork pretty well. Mostly I just tried different mp/reed combinations to see what I like best. I noticed that my klum europe seemed to be really sharp so I checked on a tuner and compared with other pieces I had. Compared to the other pieces it was. So I decided that probably the best mp for this horn out of the ones I have was a hr robusto. The notes I checked were less sharp and could get them dialed in closer just setting the mp a little further out, but I didnt spend any time playing up and down the horn with a tuner or playing slow passages or octaves. Just some scales to get my fingers used to it and picking out reeds. I decided to bring it to a gig last night and see how it did. I couldn't make it thru sound check before putting it away and using my Yamaha the whole night. I brought the mp as far out as possible but still totally out. And not a consistant level of out thru the range. It played just like some other horns I've tried with different necks that weren't in tune. Not so noticeable in the shed but a wreck playing with other instruments.So I gotta think it's the neck. So I have a few questions:
1) Are these horns known to not like certain era mouthpieces?
2) I know the later crats used a different neck or at least have a different octave key. Looking at pics online it seems the earlier bueschers and maybe some of the late 400s used this type of key (maybe leftover parts?) Does anyone know more about this?
3) Does anyone have any experience using different necks on a series 1 tenor? Or any insights.
4) Any ideas on what I should do? I'd like to find an original neck. And I'd be willing to use a relatively inexpensive different neck that worked. Any ideas on who to contact, where to look or other model's necks to look for.
I'm gonna try my friend's TH+C neck on it tomorrow. I have no idea if it will even fit tho. I'd been wanting a series 1 crat for a while and was stoked to get one. Now I'm pretty bummed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The THC neck won't work without some adjustments because it's underslung. I've found that many Buescher necks will fit a series one so it could be a TT, 156, or later aristocrat. I also find the intonation locks in more easily with a large chambered piece.

I'd say my mouthpiece has to sit fairly far back on the cork so I've always made sure to have a thick cork to ensure proper seal. Without seeing your neck, is your cork thick enough to seal even from the beginning? Does your neck have a brace that protrudes on the bottom of the neck? That would indicate a True Tone neck and I've definitely experienced some quirks with a TT neck on a series 1. But a 156 and later aristocrat models seemed fine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Very interesting. My neck doesn’t have the brace so not a TT. putting the piece on now I’d say it was between 5/8 and 3/4 inch on to the neck, just when it begins to wobble. I’m gonna put some stuff on the neck to come out further and play test it tomorrow. Hopefully that’s it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
I'm a couple months late on this thread, but in case you haven't solved the issue yet, I can only tell you that I have a series one Aristocrat tenor and I've experienced no intonation problems at all, no matter what mpc I put on it (in fact the intonation is great). Every mpc sits well on to the cork (somewhere near half way, depending on the length of the mpc shaft), definitely not way out near the end of the neck. So there is something strange going on with your horn or the neck(?). Sorry I can't help beyond saying what you are experiencing is not at all typical of these horns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts