Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have a Buescher Aristocrat SN#540955 that I got for my daughter to start with I know nothing of about this saxaphone could anyone shed some light on it for me.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
It's a post Selmer buyout horn, still made of many original Buescher-Buescher parts. Up into the 600k you still find very good horns. Some guys out there demeans these by saying they're bundies but's actually the other way around. It's a very good horn to start on, a little better ergos are found on 400's of this era or older aristocrats. Still these post buyout horns are rugged, sturdy, built to take a lot of abuse, and the tone is great. Tenors and baris being of a remarkable higer quality than altos.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
Hi mharms, this aristocrat is from the early/mid-seventies after Selmer bought out Buescher. A student horn that tended to have good intonation and served several generations of beginning saxophonists well.

Condition will be your number one concern. Take it to a good tech for an evaluation. Even if it doesn't have any major problems, it's worth having the horn 'set-up' so that your daughter has a completely functional horn to start on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
I see Juan beat me to the punch, you can certainly trust his knowledge! I wouldn't hesitate to play one of these.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I see Juan beat me to the punch, you can certainly trust his knowledge! I wouldn't hesitate to play one of these.
You state it right without fanatism wich is nicer than my tainted POV :mrgreen:

Other pluses are that they're simple reliable mechanisms that if setup anywhere near correct tends to stay in adjustment longer than other horns, they're cheap to service (less complex mechanisms, etc) and the brass holds abuse very nicely (except for the bell wich is pathologically thin IMHO, but this trend started with the new redesigned bells around 310k on tenors, and after 340k you get really thin bells on all of them)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information, My wife took this horn to the local tech who she trust implicitily. The tech told her it was in great condition and he replaced the pads and so forth wife played it and it plays really good. My wife says it plays differently than her Selmer and that it doesn't quite fit her style of play. But over all it is in great shape. Thanks agian
mharms

1 - 6 of 6 Posts