Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone out there is using for a case. I play a Series I Aristocrat (270 XXX) that has been housed in a contoured PROTEC for the past four years. Pretty case, but the inside has worn down since I got it and the horn simply slides around too much, it has actually resulted in some damage :x . SO... it appears it is time for a new case. I originally thought I would look for an old buescher case, but the search turned up nothing and I worry that I might just be inviting trouble to my instrument by using an old case (what are your thoughts on this?) I have also considered BAM and the Ameritage AME-NOAS Nouveau (both can be seen athttp://www.finecases.com.)

What are you using? What have you had good luck with? What would you stay away from? Any help at all would be VERY appreciated. I am simply looking for a case that is protective and will hold form around my Buescher. Thank you so much!:)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,683 Posts
Maybe a new Protec case would do the trick. I have 2 Buescher tenors and a MKVI and they all take turns in the Protec case, depending on which one is going to the gig. I've never had a problem with that case. OTOH, I also have the original case for my Series 1 'Crat and I only use that case to store the horn in my closet. I would never trust the old latches to hold enough to take it anywhere in its original case.

Probably any decent modern tenor case will do the trick. There are also some real bombproof cases out there. If you search this forum you'll find them.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,885 Posts
rascherian said:
... I originally thought I would look for an old buescher case, but the search turned up nothing and I worry that I might just be inviting trouble to my instrument by using an old case (what are your thoughts on this?) ...
Those old wood Buescher cases were good enough for SMR. ;)

Seems that Protec is the common choice. Old Buescher wood cases work fine but you are right, they aren't easy to find by themselves. Maybe place a wanted ad in the marketplace section and see if one turns up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
My Big B alto is in a contoured Pro-Tek case. Fits fine and no damage. Still, I handle ALL of my cases with care so as to eliminate jolts. DAVE

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks...

Thank you all for writing on this forum. I do appreciate it and may consider placing a want add in the market place for an original case, if the right one came about in fine condition, I'd probably bite. I know that most people use protec, and I have since I got the horn, but I am hesitant to get another due to the problem I am having now. The case is beautiful and in fine condition, but the inside that houses the instrument has matted and no longer cradles the instrument. I don't believe that this is from misuse I am, like most, very careful and protective of my saxophone as I always have been. There is no damage to the case at all, it's just not "cushy" on the inside anymore. I will continue to watch this post for suggestions and sincerely thank you for taking the time to write. If anyone does have an old alto buescher case they'd like to part with.... :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
forgot

I forgot to mention, my protec is several generations old... it doesn't have a spot for the mouthpiece or anything. It's possible that protec has changed building materials or systems since this case was produced. Let me know :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,683 Posts
rascherian said:
I forgot to mention, my protec is several generations old... it doesn't have a spot for the mouthpiece or anything. It's possible that protec has changed building materials or systems since this case was produced. Let me know :)
That was kind of where I was going with my original post. The new ones are much improved, with good padding.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The ultimate fit and protection for the Aristo is the Hiscox Pro

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,589 Posts
The newest ProTecs have a design flaw. The neck slot is too shallow, and when the case opens, if you have anything in the top pocket, the case will rock backwards slightly, causing the neck to fall out of its slot, possibly acquiring a ding or scratch if it falls far enough to hit the horn.

To me, this is a non-trivial annoyance. Other than that, I love the case. I'd recommend a using neck bag in the bell, though.

I kept my Series I in a Berkeley case.

·
2,319 Posts
My 49 Aristocrat tenor is in a pro-tech contour shaped case. Mine tips backwards as described above when opened but nothing has ever flipped out of the case. The horn does not move around at all.It seems to afford good protection.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
My Aristocrat travels in the back of the car every day of the week. So far, 3 years, the Hiscox case has done a great job of keeping it safe and sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
A Gator contoured hard case works swell for my series 1 tenor and I keep my NA altos in the GL version. If you want it super snug, I've used a piece of micro fleece to bed other horns in cases where the fit was just a little loose. It's handy for wiping the horn, too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you

Thank you all so much for your help here, I really appreciate it... good ideas and things to consider for all. My most sincere thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
My 2 Buescher altos have the original cases and they are the worst of all my cases. Look nice but the horns bounce all over the place. The newer Protec holds them best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,589 Posts
Honeyboy said:
My 49 Aristocrat tenor is in a pro-tech contour shaped case. Mine tips backwards as described above when opened but nothing has ever flipped out of the case. The horn does not move around at all.It seems to afford good protection.
Yes, but I thought we were talking ALTO cases.....

·
824 Posts
My 1955 Conn 6M alto fits firmly into a newer shaped Protec case as well. Because of the double socket neck, there is no neck plug, but the horn sits still anyway.

The previous owner worried about the small space between the neck socket and the right end of the case, and so he made a makeshift plug that fits OVER the 6M's unusual body-mounted tenon. The makeshift plug is made from a shampoo bottle top with some packaging tape to reduce its inner diameter a bit, and it fills the space just fine. I reiterate that the horn does not seem to move without this plug, but out of sheer habit and fear, I put it into place anyway.

The neck slippage problem mentioned in an earlier post is a real one, especially for necks like the 6M. Being underslung, the octave key prevents the neck from sitting as deeply into the neck slot as it should. The ultimate solution to this problem is make, or buy, a velvet cloth drawstring bag and store the neck in the bell. Such a bag comes with new Protecs recently, or can be purchased separately from dealers. However, they are very easy to make from thick velvet or faux velvet readily available at any fabric store.

When the padding above the body tube, below the body tube, and around the bent wood bell support began to mat down in my 1967 Mark VI after 30+ years, I purchased a new "Selmer USA" case. It had the same wood shell with Tolex covering and leather binding as my original, but the inside was much better, being sculpted to fit an alto superbly. Even when new, my original case would have been hard-pressed to give such protection, as only the bell and bow had any shaped support.

Hixcox, Gator, and Protec cases are all fine cases for their intended uses. Decide whether you need a tough general case or airline flight capabilities, and balance cost versus level of need.

Sax Magic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts