Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new student of mine who has been playing a couple of years has this horn.

After correcting some of his bad habits (biting on the high notes, dropping the jaw on the lows), he still was wildly sharp in the second octave, especially on G.
I tried his horn and it was very challenging to try to get in tune, octaves were way sharp.

Is this common on this saxophone?

It pains me to see this, a student horn should at least play in tune. That's why I always recommend a YAS-23.

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any experience on this sax ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes. unfortunately AS600 is not a well built sax and comes with many problems. I believe it was introduced as the company decides to trades quality for profit. It's truly a shame as their AS500 really offers one of the best value in the market. (the main reason why my brother had brought a AS600 as his first sax. Sold it after using it for a month) An interesting article I just came across say it all "http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_%28A_to_Z%29/Stocks_S/threadview?m=tm&bn=10967&tid=2251&mid=2251&tof=2&frt=2"

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unfortunately the world is not what it used to be for instruments. I will agree that the YAS-23 is a very solid horn and has been for years, but the Selmer line has gone WAY downhill. Years ago the Selmer workers in the USA went on strike for higher wages, and instead of negotiating they just said "SEE YA!" and started importing from Taiwan for their horns. I saw a picture a few years ago of Selmer Aristocrat horn boxes next to Jean Baptiste Boxes next to Cecelio boxes ALL from the same factory. Granted that they are making better progress lately on these Taiwanese made horns but it still isn't comparable to the standard 23.

I've had experience playing and selling the AS-600 and what you are seeing is across the board. Selmer no longer makes that horn and now their student line is called the Prelude. I will say a good alternative to the YAS-23 would be the Cannonball Alcazar model. The yamaha 23's are new for $1299.99 while the Cannonballs will save you a few hundred for in my opinion the same quality. But the market is also flooded with pre-owned horns and you can get a YAS-23 from 200-800$$ depending on your area/quality/condition. I've caught a few 23's on craigslist myself for $100, althought they needed heavy work, but it's worth paying attention to.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
... or get a real Aristocrat. :)

·
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.
I tried it again yesterday at his lesson just to be sure...When the first octave is in tune, the second is wildly sharp. How can they mess it up like that?
It p's me off that a dealer would even sell an instrument like this.

This may be a naive question but, does this instrument have any connection at all with the Selmer company in France ?
It makes no sens to me that they would allow their name to be associated with this piece of junk.

An interesting article I just came across say it all "http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_%28A_to_Z%29/Stocks_S/threadview?m=tm&bn=10967&tid=2251&mid=2251&tof=2&frt=2"
altofreak, I couldn't get that link to work...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Perhaps a large chamber mouthpiece would help -- not that that they intended to design for that, but it might work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.
I tried it again yesterday at his lesson just to be sure...When the first octave is in tune, the second is wildly sharp. How can they mess it up like that?
It p's me off that a dealer would even sell an instrument like this.

This may be a naive question but, does this instrument have any connection at all with the Selmer company in France ?
It makes no sens to me that they would allow their name to be associated with this piece of junk.

altofreak, I couldn't get that link to work...
Here you go http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/S...?m=tm&bn=10967&tid=2251&mid=2251&tof=2&frt=2"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts