Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a big hello to all this is my second thread, previously I ask about big b vs th & c, most lean towards the big b, but now I am somewhat confused with aristrocrat series 1, the 156 Big B and the 156 script, could you tell me or Give me a guide to the differences between them, years and approximate price, to be able to do an internet search, since I can't get that script, it may be that I'm not looking for it correctly, if they have photos I would appreciate them to be able to differentiate. Thanks a lot

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,266 Posts
Saxpics has a summary of generational Buescher changes that can be found here. You can also flip over to the gallery section to see the differences.

I did my research on the 140 altos, but I think the information is roughly equivalent for the tenors. The 140/156 "Big B" horns are basically the same as the "script"/non-"Big B" horns that immediately followed in every way except price, to my understanding. That horn was made well into the 50's.

Maybe someone else can jump in who has more hands on experience, though.

Once I clear out a couple of tenors, I would love to get my hands on a 156 someday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's see if I understood, correct me if it is like this or not: the 156 script would be an aristocrat III, which is the same as the 156 Big B of series II but without the engraving of the B. Is that so?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,266 Posts
That's my understanding, but maybe I should stop speaking authoritatively on things I have little actual experience with!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
Let's see if I understood, correct me if it is like this or not: the 156 script would be an aristocrat III, which is the same as the 156 Big B of series II but without the engraving of the B. Is that so?
As I stated a couple of times on that other thread, yes the Big B engraved156 and the script-engraved 156 are exactly the same horn in every respect, aside from the engraving. The series designations seem pretty arbitrary and don't mean much. "156 Aristocrat" is the correct designation of the specific model, regardless of engraving.

As I also pointed out, there are 3 different model Aristocrats with the Big B engraving and they do have some significant differences. If you're looking for a Big B Buescher, the next question is which one? If you're looking for a 156, you have a choice between two different engravings. For whatever reason (certainly nothing rational), the Big B engraved 156 has a higher market value, so you can save some money by looking for the script engraved 156.

p.s. frasemanx, no reason to feel cheated unless you really care about what the engraving looks like!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts