Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Are you sure you want to leave this page?"

Yes, dammit, I am sure, otherwise I wouldn't have clicked on the little arrow.

Can we PLEASE get this unnecessary and annoying new bug (oh, excuse me, I mean "feature, for your convenience") turned off, CHOP FREAKING CHOP!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don’t remember ever having that notification, either using my iPhone in “standard view” or on my laptop using Safari.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
It is standard if you have done something interatcive with the page but not completed it, and is in fact useful in many cases.

An example:

You go to edit a post, and the doorbell rings. It is Amazon delivering your new toy. Or it could be the FBI wanting to search your cellar.

Either way it distracts you for a couple of minutes.

When you get back to your computer you have totally forgotten about SOTW so decide to find a new Russian bride/groom and put that in the search bar and hit return.

But waht's this? A friendly message from SOTW asking if you are sure you didn't want to finish editing your post in which you said that ligatures made no difference.

Gosh no, it's far more important to not appear to be a vibrationalist than to marry your fourth mail order spouse.

HOWEVER:

If you get this message in a scenario not as the above, then something is seriously wrong and you must contact VSAdmin who are the only people who can fix it. You may even find yourself a Canadian bride or groom in the process.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is standrad if you have done something interatcive with the page but not complted it, and is in fact useful in many cases.

An example:

You go to edit a post, and the doorbell rings. It is Amazon delivering your new toy. Or it could be the FBI wanting to search your cellar.

Either way it distracts you for a couple of minutes.

When you get back to your computer you have totally forgatten about SOTW so decide to find a new Russian bride/grrom and put that in the search bar and hit return.

But waht's this? A friendly message from SOTW asking if you are sure you didn't want to finish editing your post in which you said that ligatures made no difference.

Gosh no, it's far more important to not appear to be a vibrationalist than to marry your fourthe mail order sposue.

HOWEVER:

If you get this message in a scenario not as the above, then something is seriously wrong and you must contact VSAdmin who are the only people who can fix it. You may even find yourself a Canadian bride or groom in the process.
Yes, I understand the scenarios when that message should occur. Starting about a week ago, though, it appears every single time I try to do anything. This happens on both of the computers from which I access this forum, one of which is Windows 10 and one of which is Windows 7. I swear to you by everything you can imagine, that I have done nothing different.

Silly me, I thought the forum "forum problems" was how to report a problem with the forum. I guess not. Oh well, I'll just soldier on, just like with the "remember me" button.

·
28,888 Posts
Silly me, I thought the forum "forum problems" was how to report a problem with the forum. I guess not.
That was the original intention, in those days we were allowed access to various different parts of the "backstage area" in order to fix things.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So whatever "feature" gets introduced, we're just stuck with it forever.

All righty then.

I have to say that this is the buggiest forum I ever post on, by a factor of 10 at least.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
So whatever "feature" gets introduced, we're just stuck with it forever.

All righty then.

I have to say that this is the buggiest forum I ever post on, by a factor of 10 at least.
Let me tell you about Facebook.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,807 Posts
the only instance, ever, when my computer puts me this question is if, by mistake, because I’ve enabled the mouse page turner page ( sliding my finger on it) after filling in something (I’ve just tried right now on this very answer and it happend as I’ve described).

Another possibility is to click a < or >.

THEN and only then the computer asks me if I am sure that I wanted to leave the page. This is not a a new feature, it has been here for many years and i’ve encountered it every time when I make a a mistake AND I have filled some content.

I have checked, if I do it on a SOTW page where I didn’t write anything it won’t happen.

I am sure

·
28,888 Posts
the only instance, ever, when my computer puts me this question is if, by mistake, because I’ve enabled the mouse page turner page ( sliding my finger on it) after filling in something (I’ve just tried right now on this very answer and it happend as I’ve described).

Another possibility is to click a < or >.

THEN and only then the computer asks me if I am sure that I wanted to leave the page. This is not a a new feature, it has been here for many years and i’ve encountered it every time when I make a a mistake AND I have filled some content.

I have checked, if I do it on a SOTW page where I didn’t write anything it won’t happen.

I am sure
Yes, that is exactly how it should work, but from what turf3 is saying it is happening in spite of that being the case.

I have had this on wordpress, for example I edit somethin and then save and then go to leave the page and I get that message, in spite of having saved. But then a few seconds later, withoiut doing anything, I can then leave the page.

Perhaps a Firefox bug, or some strange cache issue (which is a good way to explain anything you don't actually know the answer to)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,807 Posts
this, and few other “ bugs” seem only ever to affect few people ( like the aforementioned “ remember me” which to this day, never affected me) and that makes it all the more difficult to identity and address.

Almost none of these things affect the entire membership, which makes me think they are not a centralized problem built in the system but are the product of local issues (like the pop up about targeted advertising affecting only EU members)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The thing is, the problem WAS NOT happening, and then it STARTED.

This is the case with the logging-out problem, and the case with the "are you sure?" problem. It seems that IT professionals are uniformly unable to understand that the place to look for a problem that has a defined starting date, is for WHAT CHANGED at that time.

It really drives me nuts. I have been doing failure analysis on mechanical products for 35 years now, and some variant of the question "OK, can we identify the last point at which production was uniformly good, and the first identified point where the problem started, and what are the things that changed in that period? Different operator? Different vendor? Was there an ECO? etc." is ALWAYS a KEY part of the investigation. This is "forensics 101" and any competent engineer knows to do it, but IT types? Nope. They never ask the question, just run off into a bunch of nonsense which usually devolves into blaming the customer. It's like they believe the laws of cause and effect don't apply to bits, or something.

·
28,888 Posts
but IT types? Nope. They never ask the question, just run off into a bunch of nonsense which usually devolves into blaming the customer. It's like they believe the laws of cause and effect don't apply to bits, or something.
I've noticed this too (although in some circles I am referred to as an IT type bewcause I run a couple of websites) The problem here is that there are so many different possibilities. I agree tyhat somethuing being changed in the SOTW software or server configuration could very much be a cause. But then so could a browser update or any number of changes on your computer or your ISP. So to be fair they do have to cover those bases, but i agree they should never assume it is the customer's issue.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've noticed this too (although in some circles I am referred to as an IT type bewcause I run a couple of websites) The problem here is that there are so many different possibilities. I agree tyhat somethuing being changed in the SOTW software or server configuration could very much be a cause. But then so could a browser update or any number of changes on your computer or your ISP. So to be fair they do have to cover those bases, but i agree they should never assume it is the customer's issue.
Two different computers, two different ISPs, same problem. It is not my problem.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Two different computers, two different ISPs, same problem. It is not my problem.
However, Internet Explorer on both machines, correct? Have you tried viewing on Chrome to replicate the issue? I’ve tried to replicate the issue you describe (“are you sure” at every page change, not just when leaving text in a comment without posting it) on several MacBooks (Safari)and my iPhone and have no such issue you are describing. I have a Windows PC at my office I could try on Monday, but perhaps someone else can check and see if it is happening on their PC using IE.

·
28,888 Posts
However, Internet Explorer on both machines, correct? Have you tried viewing on Chrome to replicate the issue? I’ve tried to replicate the issue you describe (“are you sure” at every page change, not just when leaving text in a comment without posting it) on several MacBooks (Safari)and my iPhone and have no such issue you are describing. I have a Windows PC at my office I could try on Monday, but perhaps someone else can check and see if it is happening on their PC using IE.
Well, we need to hear from more people having the same issue and whatever system. From what turf3 says it is pointing to a SOTW software/server issue, however we should not rule anything out so the more people who can report this and give details of their system the better.

·
Registered
718 Posts
AHA! I just remotely logged on to a Windows computer running IE and was able to replicate the issue the OP is having. So apparently it is either something in the SOTW code that changed that affect only IE, or there was some sort of Windows/ IE update that made something appear?

·
Registered
718 Posts
And I just confirmed that the (“are you sure” at every page change, not just when leaving text in a comment without posting it) issue does not exist on Chrome or Firefox. So this seems to be an issue that expresses itself only on Microsoft Internet Explorer. Whether a "fault" lies with the SOTW code or an update with Windows IE? Anyway, hope that information in getting the issue resolved.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts