Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about how many SOTW members come from a musical family.

I am a fourth generation sax player. My mother played saxophone, and on her side of the family, so did my grandmother, and great grandmother. My great grandmother also played piano in a band with a couple other relatives, and they played on local radio and TV shows.

How about all of you?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
My father took piano lessons as a child, but only because his mother played. My mother is possibly the most tone-deaf person I have ever met. Both of my brothers and my sister have all dabbled, but nothing really stuck.

·
Registered
197 Posts
not really. my 'rents think i should make more money instead of "wasting" that time to play around.
my great-grandmother was an orgainst in church. that's all the musical talent i know in my family. you're so lucky to have musical history in your family, especially through the jazz era!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I have a lot of music on both sides of my family. We are having a reunion in March that will have some fun jam sessions with my uncles. My cousin used to be the musical director in a group I toured with.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not my parents at all, but my father decided all seven of his kids should learn how to play an instrument, so we had a piano in the house and all of of us had lessons. One sister played cello, another violin for a hot minute. My brother was a smokin drummer until he quit. My youngest sister, though, is the big heartbreaker. She plays piano and flute, but she has a voice that could've taken her anywhere, and I mean anywhere. But she wanted a traditional life, and while I do love my niece and nephew, I still can't help feeling a little heartbroken about an astonishing gift not seeing its potential.

Duke Ellington once said he thought it was a great statement to a person's character to sacrifice music for family. He said this about musicians who left his band to get off the road and focus on their familiies. I love the sentiment behind it, but it still seems a bit tragic.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Dad played bagpipes in his youth. He reckons the definition of a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

Other than that, no musical inclinations at all other than listening, until me and my kids.

So I reckon it's not bad going that we have 4 saxophones, 2 flutes and 2 guitars in the house!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My Mother was a classically trained pianist...very good from what my ears can remember, Father used to play a phono fiddle, more of a party trick kind of instrument than anything else....

·
2,319 Posts
Dad played bagpipes in his youth. He reckons the definition of a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

Other than that, no musical inclinations at all other than listening, until me and my kids.

So I reckon it's not bad going that we have 4 saxophones, 2 flutes and 2 guitars in the house!
I love that quote about the definition of a gentleman. I'm going to use that.:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
My Dad was a semi-pro sax player (tenor and alto), and it always gives me a buzz to be using the same instruments at gigs that he was using in the '30s and '40s. His Dad played the picolo and mandolin, I believe, for amusement, and my brother was a professional percussionist until he retired.

Sadly none of my kids have shown any interest in continuing playing music beyond school.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My father played drums and guitar. My mother sang soprano in choir. and then sang in a church choir. My great grandfather played a mean B3 organ.

·
1,038 Posts
I would suppose so. My dad played in the "World Famous Simmons University Cowboy Band" in the 20's. My older brother was a decent amateur jazz guitar player. My sister is/was a very good pianist and played clarinet and oble. My wife was an excellent college clarinetist. My daughter is the most talented by far - legit flute and piano, all-state band, etc.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This thread is quite similar to one that I recall posting to a couple of month ago but I'll bite again...

My parents are both completely tone deaf...my sister too...end of that story.

My mother's father (my maternal grandfather) played Clarinet and Alto Sax. When I was 10 years old he gave me his 1920's Selmer Clarinet which is what started me playing music. I still have it though I rarely play it anymore. My cousin has the Alto Sax which is a silver plated 1920's Buescher Tru-Tone with a rose gold plated inner bell.

My grandfather's father (my maternal great-grandfather) played Piccolo and Sax according to word of mouth from my step great-grandmother as told to me before she died. She did not know what kind of Sax he played although she gave me a grainy photo taken in the 1920's in which he is holding a Tenor Sax.

Until I got the copy of the photo, everyone in the family had assumed that the Buescher Alto Sax that my cousin now has was my great-grandfathers (some people knew of the old photo) and it may have been...but it is not the one in the old family photo which is what everyone had assumed.

My oldest daughter...very little musical talent. She took piano lessons and played Alto Sax briefly but it was painful to listen to her play and it was obvious that she didn't enjoy it so we told her that if she didn't want try music anymore she could stop...she did...

My youngest daughter has a very good voice (not trained though). She took piano lessons and did fairly well. and played the violin and guitar. Once she got to college she pretty much quit doing any music. She still has her violin and we bought her a nice guitar a couple of years ago hoping to encourage her to continue to play but so far no good. Maybe when she is older she will want to play something again.

I had a uncle (now deceased) from Poughkeepsie, NY who married into the family so is not a blood relative, but he was a professional musician and was on the road from after WW II until he met my aunt in the 1960's while traveling through Dayton, Ohio. He quit the band and returned to Dayton and married my aunt.

He was a very talented musician, mostly a Frank Sinatra style singer but he also played the Flute, Clarinet, Piano, Drums and Vibes.

When he died, my aunt gave me his Clarinet which is a 1967 Selmer Series 9 and which is the Clarinet that I still play today when I have to play Clarinet.

I have a nephew who plays Alto and Tenor Sax (I bought them both for him from for sale ads here on SOTW) but he is only 17 and the jury is out on how serious he really is...I have a feeling that he is about all done.

I have another nephew who borrowed a Clarinet from me to try school band but who quickly gave up.

His sister borrowed another Clarinet and an Alto Sax from me that she played in the band too, but my cousin told me that now she is playing the Bassoon. But now she has gravitated towards swimming as her 'favorite' activity so I suspect that the Clarinet and Alto Sax will be coming back to me soon as well.

Of all the cousins in my generation of my family, I am the ONLY musician...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
My mom was a music teacher, and we have more professional musicians in our family. My brother and me are both active amateur musicians. Both of my kids play as well (lessons and youth orchestra).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
nope. well, come to think of it , my mum sang a lot.
it seems I did start a musical family though, my youngest son is playing guitar,( all the Jonas brothers and Drake Bell songs , he's almost 12 now) and is very quick with figuring things out on a piano keyboard. I bought an electric piano the other day and "fur Elise " was programmed as a demo song. He found all the notes of within an hour and could remember and play along with it within an hour or 2.
He seems to have a good ear and a good sense of rythm too, if I can get him to develop this instead of playing computer games he might really become good at making music someday....

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
My great-grandfather was a pianist, and supported his family through the depression by playing German folk tunes in piano bars. Several cousins are also pianists, and an uncle played accordion as a side job.
I'm the only musician in my immediate family, though, unless you count my husband (seems like the most important music partner to have, by my reckoning).

·
Registered
480 Posts
The only hint of music I can find in my family is that my Grandma was forced into violin lessons when she was 7. Other than that there is no hint of musicality in my family. However, music has always been a part of my life. I mean, what little kids favorite movie is Fantasia? When i started band in 7th grade, I just fell in love with music.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not my parents at all, but my father decided all seven of his kids should learn how to play an instrument, so we had a piano in the house and all of of us had lessons. One sister played cello, another violin for a hot minute. My brother was a smokin drummer until he quit. My youngest sister, though, is the big heartbreaker. She plays piano and flute, but she has a voice that could've taken her anywhere, and I mean anywhere. But she wanted a traditional life, and while I do love my niece and nephew, I still can't help feeling a little heartbroken about an astonishing gift not seeing its potential.

Duke Ellington once said he thought it was a great statement to a person's character to sacrifice music for family. He said this about musicians who left his band to get off the road and focus on their familiies. I love the sentiment behind it, but it still seems a bit tragic.
IMO i don't think they can't coexist or that situation ever needs to be faced. I know many musicians with great family life. Music is irrevelant to good/bad parenting

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.