Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No, I stay clean

Votes: 24 82.8%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - funny, ha. Catchy title. I am curious as to what people think of Runyon Pad Dope. I know that it is being used at Tenor Madness, so some in the know like it. What about you? I think the stuff is great for pads but the application system a pain do deal with. I am using small inexpensive paint brushes instead.

There is a poll - anonymous, obviously.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
This is like soaking reeds on alcoholic beverages... I keep the pads clean and the reeds sober, I use the dope and the whyskey soaking on myself and it works great.

:mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,761 Posts
I've been applying Runyon Pad Dope to the pads of my horns about every 6 months for the last decade or so. No sticky pads, no complaints.

·
Registered
jazz, rock, funk, fusion and gospel on tenor, alto and soprano
485 Posts
I use the good old fashioned baby powder applied with a q tip trick. Learned it from a "tips from gigging jazz saxophone players" (or something like that) pamphlet I saw in a Sam Ash store once. Works great. Every time I apply this treatment, it keeps my pads from sticking for about a month.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
Take inexpensive material, package it in small quantities as fit for a particular purpose and charge accordingly. Most unnecessary.
I agree. Combined with good marketing and a well known name brand like Runyon, the possibilities are limitless.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I stay away from Skunk; old fashioned resin is fine.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
I used to apply it to new pads when refurbishing horns, found that it seemed to do nothing, and stopped using it. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I use eyeglass cleaner applied to a coffee filter. Scrub back and forth, cleans pretty well. The filter paper is like a mild abrasive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,267 Posts
Tell that to the sticking pads. See if that fixes it.
There are numerous ways to address the problem, all set forth on this site within countless other threads, that are much less... dependant. Just ignore the odd posts that suggest you ought to take sand paper to your toneholes.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
If you keep them clean in the first place, you won't have a problem.
Are you not aware that some models of pad are very sticky, even before they have ever been used.

For pads coated with a sticky material at manufacture, cleanliness does not help at all.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
There are numerous ways to address the problem, all set forth on this site within countless other threads, that are much less... dependant. Just ignore the odd posts that suggest you ought to take sand paper to your toneholes.
I used to think like that too. But if the sand paper is fine enough, it is merely a fine polishing agent for removing verdigris and other crap, quite a bit more successful than a dollar bill.

But I agree about all the other threads. Why start it all again! If you want the valuable information offered here on the topic, get it by searching. Many writers with something worthwhile to offer just cannot be bothered writing it for the umpteenth time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My understanding is or was that the point of using the Runyon pad dope is not to clean or to avoid having to clean, but to condition the pads to resist moisture and not dry out, i.e. to prolong pad life. It is actually rather messy to deal with. I don't know what it is made of but probably something dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
My understanding is or was that the point of using the Runyon pad dope is not to clean or to avoid having to clean, but to condition the pads to resist moisture and not dry out, i.e. to prolong pad life. It is actually rather messy to deal with. I don't know what it is made of but probably something dirt cheap.
That is correct Brasscane. I didn't find it to make any difference, so I personally don't use it any longer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.