1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't think you can go far wrong with one of these for the money, i haven't got one personally but if it plays like crap a good refacer could really make it sing and you'd still be quids in!

I do remember reading somewhere that the plating "may" contain toxic metals like lead and cadmium, but no one seems to know for sure....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
Get a Metalite. Costs less, guaranteed better mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Don't buy a no name Chinese metal mouthpiece... My buddy has a student in Florida who bought one for tenor sax, following the logic of 'How bad could it be?' Answer: 'It won't play at all...' I sent him a Brilhart Ebolin for now... +1 for Metalite...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had one of those cheap knock-offs (not from this seller) for my alto and it was awful.

I was squeaking and chirping like I never ever played the saxophone before.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
You'll get many differing opinions, some from people who haven't actually played one. I've played a couple that appear to be exactly the same (but you can't tell absolutely of course), and they were really rather good , especially for the price.

This is a reputable store with a return policy.

And I wouldn't worry about the lead, ;) there's probably a lot more in a Link or a Dukoff.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have a metalite and I would be getting this for jazz band. Metal is required.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Well, I have a metalite and I would be getting this for jazz band. Metal is required.
"Metal is required"? By who? Your director? If so, he/she doesn't have the foggiest freakin' idea what they're talking about. Sorry, but this just drives me up a wall. I've seen and heard this SO many times.
"Well, to play jazz saxophone, you MUST play a metal mouthpiece".

As Col. Potter used to say......."HORSE HOCKEY"!

John

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, one's a trumpet player and the other is a percussionist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Consider a Berg Larsen piece, or to really stand up to the brass section a Brilhart Level Air piece is good...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
+ Infinity!!!!!
"Metal is required"? By who? Your director? If so, he/she doesn't have the foggiest freakin' idea what they're talking about..."Well, to play jazz saxophone, you MUST play a metal mouthpiece".
As Col. Potter used to say......."HORSE HOCKEY"!
There's so many awesome saxophonists who do not play metal, or haven't at some point it's ridiculous to even suggest a metal mouthpiece is necessary. Bird, Cannonball, Getz, Gene Ammons, Joe Lovano, Grover Washington, Seamus Blake, Brecker on some recordings.... but a few of many players with great sound/tone who didn't find it necessary to use metal....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
I played a Berg Larsen metal piece for many years. I also have a Brilhart LevelAire. I prefer my Metalites.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
+ Infinity!!!!!

There's so many awesome saxophonists who do not play metal, or haven't at some point it's ridiculous to even suggest a metal mouthpiece is necessary. Bird, Cannonball, Getz, Gene Ammons, Joe Lovano, Grover Washington, Seamus Blake, Brecker on some recordings.... but a few of many players with great sound/tone who didn't find it necessary to use metal....
+1 Also Kenny Garrett, Steve Wilson, Jaleel Shaw, Will Vinson, Joe Henderson, Joshua Redman, Jackie McLean, Ralph bowen, Wayne Shorter on certain recordings, Zoot Sims, James Spalding, and plenty more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Joshua Redman...one of my favorites....absolutely swings on a hard rubber......when you can swing...you can swing......Mouthpiece material? I would quit that band.....immediately

1 - 16 of 16 Posts