Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3,820 Posts
Old Conn's have a reputation on the internet for liking high key heights. I slowly started lowering mine over time and they are set quite a bit lower than the prescribed heights in Simon's post (I know he didn't mean for this to be set in stone, but rather a general starting point or middle ground).

I have found that the horn speaks just as well with just as much volume with the low key heights. I think lowering them did affect intonation slightly for the better,and my mouthpiece is not pulled out so much.... either that or I have just loosened up over time.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yep, they are what we term 'closed' compared to 'open'. Stan Getz liked his 'closed' and King Curtis liked his 'open'. I had my MK VI tenor overhauled (but my wallet was what got overhauled) and he left many problems which I'm still fixing but the horn is at least playable now. He put Teflon everywhere including on top of both corks in a stack key, which is too much material, so my action looks about like yours. I'm just going to have to tear it down and re-do the stacks. These horns came more open than that.
Saxman, where did you read that Stan Getz preferred “closed “ key heights?
I‘m the biggest Getz fanatic freek fanboy on SOTW and I have never heard this before. I’ll believe when I see it from a credible source. THANKS.

3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
How is the intonation? Does it sound stuffy? Is the timbre consistent from note to note?
The horn sounds and plays excellent. There are a couple of very minor things I need to adjust, I need the front fork F adjustment to raise the key higher to play F3 and E3 so they are not stuffy. That’s it really. I think he heights just look at drop low to me and I always want to get the most out of a horn just like everybody else… thanks Dr. G !

3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've repaired saxes for many years IMO they are definitely too low. They should be about another 1/3 opened, requiring careful sanding of corks, including adjustments.
Ok that sounds rather extreme to me, I was thinking they just need to be raised 1-2 mm or so.
thanks!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts