Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,542 Posts
Yep, they are what we term 'closed' compared to 'open'. Stan Getz liked his 'closed' and King Curtis liked his 'open'. I had my MK VI tenor overhauled (but my wallet was what got overhauled) and he left many problems which I'm still fixing but the horn is at least playable now. He put Teflon everywhere including on top of both corks in a stack key, which is too much material, so my action looks about like yours. I'm just going to have to tear it down and re-do the stacks. These horns came more open than that.
I think you want the keys open enough to get the tone you prefer, but not so open that your note to note reaction time is adversely affected.

· Registered
1,542 Posts
I don't think "reaction time" is a real concern with these small differences in opening (e.g., consider the much larger differences in key openings across tenor, alto, and soprano). Instead, the main concerns are (1) intonation and (2) evenness of timbre. Saxes are designed with the effects of key venting as an important consideration. If you substantially change the key venting from the design specifications, then the note-to-note relationships will no longer be correct.
It sounds like it's all very tricky. To some degree, that could be why a technician might specialize in a particular make of saxophone?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts