Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I‘m down here in Costa Rica and my guy down here just overhauled this 1960s Bundy Keilwerth tenor for me. Your expert feedback is greatly appreciated! here’s a mishmash of upper stack and lower stack pics.
Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Drum Building Automotive tire

Brass instrument Wind instrument Musical instrument Automotive lighting Auto part

Hood Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Bicycle part Crankset Bicycle chain Auto part Rim

Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Wood Metal

Barware Material property Drink Metal Machine

Musical instrument Wood String instrument Bicycle part Wind instrument

Brass instrument Crankset Wind instrument Bicycle part Musical instrument

3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the replies.
I think they are a bit low. The horn plays great, but my gut tells me I could get a bit more out of it with wit’s more open upper ano lower stacks. I will keep you updated.

3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yep, they are what we term 'closed' compared to 'open'. Stan Getz liked his 'closed' and King Curtis liked his 'open'. I had my MK VI tenor overhauled (but my wallet was what got overhauled) and he left many problems which I'm still fixing but the horn is at least playable now. He put Teflon everywhere including on top of both corks in a stack key, which is too much material, so my action looks about like yours. I'm just going to have to tear it down and re-do the stacks. These horns came more open than that.
Saxman, where did you read that Stan Getz preferred “closed “ key heights?
I‘m the biggest Getz fanatic freek fanboy on SOTW and I have never heard this before. I’ll believe when I see it from a credible source. THANKS.

3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
How is the intonation? Does it sound stuffy? Is the timbre consistent from note to note?
The horn sounds and plays excellent. There are a couple of very minor things I need to adjust, I need the front fork F adjustment to raise the key higher to play F3 and E3 so they are not stuffy. That’s it really. I think he heights just look at drop low to me and I always want to get the most out of a horn just like everybody else… thanks Dr. G !

3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've repaired saxes for many years IMO they are definitely too low. They should be about another 1/3 opened, requiring careful sanding of corks, including adjustments.
Ok that sounds rather extreme to me, I was thinking they just need to be raised 1-2 mm or so.
thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts