Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
never thought about that...
could somebody provide a link to quality play along for classical music or may be share few pieces.
Possibly for sax ... I don't have a problem if transcription needed.

Just curious if something exist (piano or some ensemble accompaniment for solo practicing) would like to return back to music sources.
In the car during drive to work classical takes 90% of radio broadcast.
Jazz during work time, when appropriate :)...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Mark Recordings did one with Donald Sinta... sax is in one channel and the piano accompaniment in the other. Bernard Heiden Sonata, Warren Benson Aeolian Song, and Paul Creston Sonata Op. 26. Very good record.

·
Registered
YTS-82Z, B-992, ‘Crat 1 alto
1,184 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,577 Posts
The best deal and selection is Smart Music .
https://www.smartmusic.com
I use the huge selection of scales and arpeggios in all keys with your choice of several play along backgrounds .
I recently started working on the Klose on clarinet.
Also the Gordon Goodwin big band charts are great reading practice.
I just found the Bach Sonata #5 in Emin

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are the music minus one
I have one featuring Paul Brodie
Concerto in A minor
Rhapsody
Farewell and
Rumba

Gives you both him playing them and then a piano accompaniment

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I forgot about Smart Music...

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks... checked smartmusic.
I wanted mostly couple of playalong. Will not play scales ... too late :) for me.

Found this one, looks tons of stuff... 3 tunes per day free. $20 year. Want to double check quality of -ones.
If OK will drop $20.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
which package to select for getting playalong on smartmusic?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
which package to select for getting playalong on smartmusic?
The one shown in the illustration is not the one you want. That version is for band teachers. Go to Classic Smart Music and click "download". Next install it on your computer. When you open smart music to try it for free, click "skip to demo". If you like it, the next time you open the program, set up an account. If I remember correctly the price is $40 per year---an excellent value for everything you get.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for answers... checked some... for now think to buy from Hal L... want to check only electronic purchase (download minus one, and pdf without hard-copy).
Loved some accompaniments.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I’m currently looking into a guitar/woodwind duet transcription of Villa Lobos’ Bachianas Brasileiras #5. It’s typically played as a beautiful orchestral with a soloist feature but as duet with guitar and flute/clarinet/saxophone (your choice really) it would be very rewarding to undertake. Coincidentally I was listening to The Bridge, Rollins and Hall have a duet feeling throughout the album even though it’s a quartet setting. The Stan Getz and Johnny Smith recordings are a different vibe but also very inspiring.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
From the standpoint of a classical saxophone player and teacher, there is a wealth of learning material in the "Music Minus One" series for saxophone. There are books of solos in three different levels of difficulty where one can play along with Vincent Abato or Paul Brodie to study style, phrasing, tone quality, and expression before playing along with the accompaniment yourself. There is even a MMO of the Glazunov Concerto with a full orchestral accompaniment. Young players today have no idea of how fortunate they are with all of the technology and resources available to them in all styles of music. Those of us who grew up and learned to play in the 50's and 60's would have loved to have a fraction of what is available today. We had "play along" vinyl records where you had to "drop the needle" to find where you wanted to start, and the Conn Chromatic Strobo-tuner which used vacuum tubes and generated enough heat to heat the band room and was very, very expensive. Now students have "Smart Music" and tuning apps on their cell phones that do almost everything one could imagine and are free or very inexpensive.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi,
never thought about that...
could somebody provide a link to quality play along for classical music or may be share few pieces.
Possibly for sax ... I don't have a problem if transcription needed.

Just curious if something exist (piano or some ensemble accompaniment for solo practicing) would like to return back to music sources.
In the car during drive to work classical takes 90% of radio broadcast.
Jazz during work time, when appropriate :)...

Thanks.
A little late to the party here, stumbled on this older post. There's an app that combines sheet music (lots of classical pieces) with play-along tracks: https://tomplay.com/

Highly recommend during quarantine and beyond!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
There are several available from Dorn Publications such as:

Play-Along for Saxophone Vol. 1 Nadine Shank, piano CD Maurice, Lunde, Schumann, Creston, Husa. Open Loop Recordings, Ken Dorn, Producer, 1999

Play-Along for Saxophone Vol. 8 Nadine Shank, piano CD Music of Ibert, Bozza, Glazounov, Reuff, Open Loop Recordings, Ken Dorn, Producer, 1996

·
1,577 Posts
A little late to the party here, stumbled on this older post. There's an app that combines sheet music (lots of classical pieces) with play-along tracks: https://tomplay.com/

Highly recommend during quarantine and beyond!
What’s the revenue scheme? Subscription? Charge per song?…

There are classical music fake books. And I think IReal PRO has a section for classical music.?
So long as the iReal file mentions what book you need then you should be able to change the key for whatever instrument you are playing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What’s the revenue scheme? Subscription? Charge per song?…

There are classical music fake books. And I think IReal PRO has a section for classical music.?
So long as the iReal file mentions what book you need then you should be able to change the key for whatever instrument you are playing.
Both: subscription or charge by song.

For classical, in particular, Tomplay is a lot better than IRealPRO (which is great for its own purposes). You can play with a piano accompanist, or a duet with another flute or sax player. The music scrolls while you play (or not, as you like), and you can record into the app for instant listening back. I particularly like playing with an accompanist, since it keeps me honest on intonation, etc.

Of course, it'd be better to play with real people, but for quarantine, it's a welcome substitute!

·
1,577 Posts
Both: subscription or charge by song.

For classical, in particular, Tomplay is a lot better than IRealPRO (which is great for its own purposes). You can play with a piano accompanist, or a duet with another flute or sax player. The music scrolls while you play (or not, as you like), and you can record into the app for instant listening back. I particularly like playing with an accompanist, since it keeps me honest on intonation, etc.

Of course, it'd be better to play with real people, but for quarantine, it's a welcome substitute!
Have you tried SmartMusic? They’ve changed quite a bit I’m not sure how it works now? It used to be pretty good for under $40 a year unlimited use of all of the material.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts