Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 48 and been playing a lot for the last 5-6 years and I'd like to attend a Jazz camp. I read about the Aebersold camp and it sounds good but I'd like to know if there are any offered on the west coast. I was adding up the costs and checking airfares and it looks like airfare is going to be more than the camp cost wise. I'd like to find something here on the west coast. Does anyone know of any?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Jazz Camp West is great - I have been two years, and loved it both times. I think it may be somewhat of a different structure than the Aebersold camp, based on what I have read here. But it gives you lots of playing opportunities, plus sax-specific instruction, and there are a range of playing abilities. The web site is here: http://www.jazzcampwest.org/index.php

It looks like they have the current faculty listed (Mary Fettig is a super-solid player and a very good teacher; I have also heard good things about Dayna Stephens); the classes/schedule listing is still from last year, but should give you a good idea of what is offered and how it works. The camp is at a YMCA camp (think cabins and dining hall) in the redwoods south of San Francisco.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just found another tread that has a wealth of information about this subject. I don't know why I didn't find it when I searched.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I've hoped that either Jamey or someone else running a similar jazz camp setup would do it in some other cities. It seems like they would attract more potential students if they picked a more central city like Chicago, Dallas, or Denver. You can fly lower cost air carriers like Southwest or Frontier into these cities which makes it more economically viable for many.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts