Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any mouthpieces similar to the early Brilhart Hard Rubber/Personaline with A-throat/Scooped sidewalls? They are getting hard to find. Surely someone is carrying the torch for this brilliant old design. I know ARB is remaking the Tonalin but I don't think they are doing the hard rubber design with scooped out sidewalls. I have a regular Personaline from the Carlsbad era without the scooped out chamber, but it doesn't quite cut it. I asked some mouthpiece guys about modding it but they said the results are usually dissatisfying.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'd love someone to start making the old Brilhart designs as well. I love my alto Ebolins and my tenor Ebolins and Personaline (all Carlsbad). Personalines are getting pricy and hard to come by, and I'm a little worried about the structural integrity of a 50+-year-old plastic mouthpiece for which I can't find a reasonably priced backup. Ebolins are cheaper and more abundant, but I'd still be happy with a reasonably priced tribute/copy/clone.

I actually really like the Carlsbad Personaline. Was blowing it this evening with a Legere Signature and a Fibracell which give very different sounds. Legere's smoother, darker, bordering on a "classical" tone. Fibracell's a little brighter, grittier, fun!

I'd love to try a hard rubber model, but money doesn't grow on trees.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I just sold a Bunte 42 hard rubber mouthpiece that was designed by James Bunte that was said to have been based on the Brilhart hard Rubber design. I can attest it comes close as I play an original Brilhart HR myself. Not entirely similar but in the same ballpark for sure. But then again I think not all handfaced Brilharts where the same either.

What could be considered as the follow up on the Bunte 42 is 'The Core' also made by James Bunte and sold by Tenor Madness. It too has a Brilhart HR based design. Most likely with scooped sidewalls and all. But that is just what I have read about it. I have not tried one (yet). Although it would not surprise me ifn it is in fact the same design as the Bunte 42 with a new name stamped on it.

I have a HR Personaline here that has the scooped sidewalls. Has a big dark haunting tone. It was rescued and refaced to a .105. I won it on Ebay and totally ruined by a former owner who apparently had tried to reface it with a peeling knife or a screw driver or something.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just sold a Bunte 42 hard rubber mouthpiece that was designed by James Bunte that was said to have been based on the Brilhart hard Rubber design. I can attest it comes close as I play an original Brilhart HR myself. Not entirely similar but in the same ballpark for sure. But then again I think not all handfaced Brilharts where the same either.

What could be considered as the follow up on the Bunte 42 is 'The Core' also made by James Bunte and sold by Tenor Madness. It too has a Brilhart HR based design. Most likely with scooped sidewalls and all. But that is just what I have read about it. I have not tried one (yet). Although it would not surprise me ifn it is in fact the same design as the Bunte 42 with a new name stamped on it.

I have a HR Personaline here that has the scooped sidewalls. Has a big dark haunting tone. It was rescued and refaced to a .105. I won it on Ebay and totally ruined by a former owner who apparently had tried to reface it with a peeling knife or a screw driver or something.
Thanks. Well, I found another post talking about the Gigotti Spectrum as a modern copy of the Brillhart HR with A-throat. Haven't found many people raving about them but they are cheap as chips, so if it doesn't work out no big.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
All the old brilhart hard rubber designs (hard rubber stamped, and personaline etc) were incredible mouthpieces! Especially the ones with a bit more baffle. I owned one a few years ago and regret selling it but needed the money at the time. A lot of them have a lush fat thing going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts