Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
There are a few articles about Arnold in the now defunct "Saxophone Journal". I think it's defunct anyway. The articles are from many years ago and fortunately I have them. There are also articles by Ralph Morgan on the Brilhart mouthpiece design as I recall.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
994 Posts
Here's a great interview with Arnold Brilhart I came across several years ago while doing other research. Not much about the inception of his mouthpiece business. I couldn't find part 2 of the interview, but I seem to remember hearing him talk about it somewhere. Might have been in part 2. I love the lyrics to the intro song starting @ 0:59

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
bluto: I thoroughly enjoyed that clip of Arnold Brilhart being interviewed. Thanks for posting that.

FWIW, I used to lead a trad band in Sylmar (part of the San Fernando Valley) and we played every Wednesday evening for maybe 18 years. I've posted this before but it seems germaine to this thread . . .

One evening, an older gentleman walked into the restaurant where we were playing and as he passed by the band, he was eying my Buescher TT soprano and alto. He commented about their appearance and I offered to let him hold them. He took each one and looked them over.

He introduced himself - it was Arnold Brilhart. He worked for the Rico Corporation which was located not too far from our gig (on San Fernando Road in Sun Valley, just down the road a piece). We had a nice conversation and he promised to come back with some mouthpieces for me, but alas, I never saw him again. I have one of his mouthpieces for alto - a good player. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
994 Posts
Wow Dave. That's a great story! How fortunate to meet him. I have a Personaline alto (not hard rubber though) that's a great player as well.
- Paul

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your answers so far. Maybe one of you well-informed sax historians would be interested in making his Wikipedia page? He's a saxophone icon, in multiple ways - well worth knowing about!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts