Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mouthpiece that came along with my '58 Conn Director Alto is definitely a Brilhart Ebolin but I cannot seem to find a serial number on it. The words Brilhart and Ebolin was only distinguishable by carefully turning it and only in the right lighting conditions, so I'm wondering if perhaps the serial number may have been rubbed off from use over the many years this piece must have been played (There's a very distinguishable bite mark on the white bite plate) because I cannot see any evidence of a serial number. It's definitely a number 4 though as that is the most easily distinguished mark on the MPC. I am loving it though and would love to acquire another like it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,074 Posts
They stopped the serial numbers years ago so it is probably one made after the cutoff date. I don't recall exactly but my guess is sometime in the 1970s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I have an old one (5 digit serial number, tip opening engraved into table) that plays very well, and the "great neck, N.Y." printing on the neck is reduced to half of an "n" and 3/4 of a "Y" by wear. The serial number is much more clear. I bought a modern one as a backup, and found that the modern one was great, too. They do not cost much, so you will not be out a lot if it does not work for you, especially if you resell it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
The serial numbers are difficult to wear off as they are branded into the material. So you have one which was made after Selmer stopped putting serial numbers on, i.e. after June 1967.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I see. Well, it's definitely well used either way... So somebody liked it before me, and I'm liking it too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts