Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my new Chinese tenor I assumed the stock mouthpiece that came in the case would be not worth bothering with (I've played sax for four decades), so I went and paid quite good money for a gold-plated jazz mouthpiece. I've discovered that the tone from the metal m/p is actually inferior to the "cheap" plastic m/p...... and it's also harder to get the high notes and altissimo notes with the metal product.
So just how good have members found these stock mouthpieces to be ?
Was I mistaken in thinking they were not worth bothering with ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "gold" m/p I bought was a DM Sharkbite. The internal shape is totally different from the stock G4M m/p - The Sharkbite is rectangular in section, the G4M is perfectly circular. I did notice that the slope back from the tip of the m/p on the Sharkbite is not smooth but is covered with fine scratches. Would this detract from the tone quality ?
By the way this m/p came from a music store, sold as "brand new". Do all sharkbites have scratches inside ? The words "Cheap" and "nasty" are beginning to enter my mind.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
Well, the Sharkbite is another Chinese mouthpiece. Like any other mouthpiece, some are good and some are bad, but the majority of the ones that I've seen have been very poorly made. Try a regular name mouthpiece, and see if your experience improves. (Link, Berg, Dukoff, etc.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I have found most of the mouthpieces from China to be pretty bad. I got one with a Soprano that was marked Sendufu (or something like that) and it was really good. I find that Metal mouthpieces need to be from a really good maker whereas rubber/plastic ones are variable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll stick with the supplied one - I used to have a metal Berg Larsen that set me back around £ 80 (20 years ago) and one or two others. Strangely, this one, for me, plays better than any of them. I guess part of the reason for buying this gold one was that it looks cool; and if it looks cool and gold etc etc, then it just HAD to sound brilliant. I fell for that - I think it's time to shove it on Ebay. It might sound good for another blower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts