Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my VI last spring, and had some work done on it last summer which did not include spring replacement.

Currently, I'm experiencing some key bounce and a slight overall dissatisfaction with the regulation. It feels sluggish, at least compared to my sda alto (I understand the inherent physical differences between them).

How long do springs last?

Is regulation work- including spring replacement- best left to those who practice the dark arts only, or will my local guy suffice?

thanks much,

-s

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,316 Posts
Stephangus said:
best left to those who practice the dark arts only, or will my local guy suffice?
Hahaha, that is the funniest way of putting it I've seen.

Key bounce can happen for a number of reasons, same thing goes for being sluggish. It may or may not be springs (and even if it is the springs, they might just need adustment vs. replacement), but either way there is no reason a VI NEEDS to feel sluggish.

As far as how long do springs last, the answer is depends. I've overhauled some very old horns that had excellent springs, and I've done full spring replacements on modern horns that had rusted springs after 2 years on a cruise ship.

I would try your local guy first, and tell him what you are feeling and see what he comes up with.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stephangus said:
or will my local guy suffice?-s

Why do some think that someone living close by can't be as good as someone living across the country?

I've noticed this in my repair business.

Sorry this strays from your spring question.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tdewinter said:
Why do some think that someone living close by can't be as good as someone living across the country?
You're right, Tom- busted. That remark about "local guy" was indelicate, and re-enforces a subtle yet prevelant SOTW meme, i.e., expertise elitism.

I might just as well have substituted "nappy headed ho's" for local guy.

There is only one tech within a 500 mile radius of my locale that I've had good experience with. He's ill, and booked solid forever. From skimming other posts, I get the impression that I'm not alone in my perceived plight.

And I realize that I did have somebody in mind when I wrote, "my local guy". I've visited his operation (he's within 40 miles, i.e., local) and was not impressed with the vibe. (Among other mis-cues, he accidentally dropped my bari on his bench- It was only a two-inch fall, but he didn't pass the audition.)

Anyway, honestly not dissing "buying local"- I'm very much for that. In denigrating the term "local guy", I also realize I'm falsely humbling myself, since there's nobody more local to me than me! Maybe I was fishing for someone to say, "Oh, yeah- don't bother with a tech at all. You do need a spring job- it will solve all your problems-, and you can do it yourself! Here's how...!", in which case I am the local guy. Does that make sense?

Apologies for the derogation.

Sincerely,

-s

·
Registered
60 Posts
tdewinter said:
Tom
My uncle says an expert is a guy who lives further than 10 miles from home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts