Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this, but this seems as good a place as any.

I understand that when Emilio in NY works on a sax, he puts his mark on the sax, which indicates that he will warrant the work for the life of the horn. Or something like that.

My question is, if I buy a MKVI that has been worked on by Emilio, will he honor this, or is this only between Emilio and the owner that had the work done? I suspect it's only good until you sell the horn, but I was hoping someone here would know for sure.

fm

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Martysax should know. (If I recall corrently). I never thought to ask. Although, I was borrowing my brothers horn for awhile and he held up his warranty on that. And my brother lives 3,000 miles away.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Altoblues - you might be WRONG! Rayburn has opened a shop in NY across from Lincoln Center and I believe Emilio works there one day a week.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Really? Cool. This must be a recent development.

Though still, for all intents and purposes, Emilio is in Boston. If he's at the NYC store for 'maybe' one day a week, I doubt he's doing many overhauls there himself.

Cool nonetheless. More choices / competition is always good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2010
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Oops, my bad. I did mean Boston. NY or or Boston, the question is the same. :) Sounds like he will honor it...this might be the clencher on a deal for me. Thanks!

fm

·
4,567 Posts
Emilio is a pretty informal guy its not like he is having lawyers draft up his warranty whenever I needed an adjustment I never paid for it and I have offered , but its an unspoken kind of thing. If you called him or asked him directly I think it might turn him off.
Again this is just my impression of him having dealt with him for over 20 years.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Why would asking him if his warranty is transferable offend him? Seems like a simple yes or no answer to me. He should be honored that someone who is considering purchasing an instrument that he overhauled (considering his legendary status in the repair industry) might be purchasing it with that info in mind? Often times we do overhaul work on instruments that the owner clearly states they are going to sell it afterwards. Our warranty goes with the instrument, not the player. It's not about legalities, just good business IMO.

·
4,567 Posts
JerryJamz2 said:
Why would asking him if his warranty is transferable offend him? Seems like a simple yes or no answer to me. He should be honored that someone who is considering purchasing an instrument that he overhauled (considering his legendary status in the repair industry) might be purchasing it with that info in mind? Often times we do overhaul work on instruments that the owner clearly states they are going to sell it afterwards. Our warranty goes with the instrument, not the player. It's not about legalities, just good business IMO.
I don't think I mentioned offending him. and I already know the answer, but didn't want to speak for Emilio

·
4,567 Posts
JerryJamz2 said:
Would you mind describing "might turn him off"? Perhaps it's the internet, non-personal touch thing, but that's how "I" perceived that statement. Thanks.
The problem about the Internet is that you find yourself in stupid and meaningless arguments for no apparent reason .
I just gave my impression of having dealt with him since I was an 18 year old kid in college That's All. My Impression!!!!
I have bought and sold horns from him. I have had 5 overhauls from him. My impression is that he is Old school. He is a Guy of honor someone that you can trust. Is he a businessman? Sure, but he is fair and honest and I have never felt like I was getting the Hard sell from him. I always dealt with him with a handshake cause that means something to him. He has a sense of honor that a lot of people don't have any more.

HOPE THAT ABOUT COVERS IT FOR YA!!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Please don't be so defensive, or shout at me. I know him also. I also know the owner and president of Rayburn. It's not about "you" or "me". And I'm not much that younger than Emilio, so don't even go there.

"Impression" and reality, are two totally diferent things. So if, as you claim, you know the answer to the original question, why not just answer it. It I did, I would. Emilio himself isn't gonna care one way or the other, if you do. Yes, Emilio is a very personable and relaxed individual, which is why I suggested to the person asking the question, to call him direct.

Will he, or won't he? THAT is the question.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
JerryJamz2 said:
...Our warranty goes with the instrument, not the player...
For me it's not even quite that. My guarantee goes with the work I did.

I cannot gaurantee hidden conditions that I never worked on, such as posts or pads about to fall off a Chinese sax.

But if my pad glue fails, two owners later, then I'll re-do it free.

·
4,567 Posts
JerryJamz2 said:
Please don't be so defensive, or shout at me. I know him also. I also know the owner and president of Rayburn. It's not about "you" or "me". And I'm not much that younger than Emilio, so don't even go there.

"Impression" and reality, are two totally diferent things. So if, as you claim, you know the answer to the original question, why not just answer it. It I did, I would. Emilio himself isn't gonna care one way or the other, if you do. Yes, Emilio is a very personable and relaxed individual, which is why I suggested to the person asking the question, to call him direct.

Will he, or won't he? THAT is the question.
This is Retarded!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
While I am not Emilio, I would think that if he overhauled the instrument, then yes, within reason. If he did not, other than the requested/described work, no. That's our policy. BUT, if in doubt contact him directly with questions in regards to such. Geez...

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
There are many people who feel that the value of an instrument is increased by $500 (give or take) if Emilio's stamp is on it. This is most likely due to not only his fine work but his guarantee behind it. If you give him a call, he will give you an answer though. I don't see why he would have any issues with it (unless, say, I called him up and acted all arrogant and said "so, you gonna guarantee this or what?" But I don't think anyone is gonna do that here). However, be advised that he knows his work and if there was an "interloper" if may cost a nickel or two to have him restore his work but, on that note, I've never been down that road with him. He's a great guy and a great sax doctor.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
sonnymobleytrane said:
I just gave my impression of having dealt with him since I was an 18 year old kid in college That's All. My Impression!!!!
No one argued that it wasn't just your impression. The problem was, your description of your impression was completely unclear. It would be nice of you to clarify what you meant by "turn him off".

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
This thread, unfortunately, is so typical of so many I've been seeing lately.

First there's a question that likely, didn't even need being asked.
Then some speculation.
Then criticism of the speculation - which puts it in the realm of the even more speculative.
Then on the verge of a pi**ing contest...over a question that likely didn't need to be asked in the first place.
(insert emoticon of dog chasing his tail)

Here's my take. Emiliio has a telephone. Why ask us? If it were me, and I mean this as no insult to my fellow SOTW colleagues, I would not rely on second-hand information over such things as work warranties. There's only one person who can speak with authority and that's the person who gives the guarantees and does the work.

As pointed out, some will guarantee their work regardless of in whose hands the instrument is and some consider the agreement only with the one upon whose horn he did the work. So why speculate and ask second-parties. Ask the man.

BTW Fungusamongus :D although it might seem so, this is really not a criticism of you specifically - more a general commentary. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts