Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey Keith, they're definitely in a similar family. My shop actually shares a building with Sax Dakota, so I've got a few of them here. I gotta say, the straight alto is a blast.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a tenor. The tone is nice and spread, which is its best quality. I don't feel like it's the hardiest horn, but the one thing I really don't like about it is the way they designed the lyre holder. On mine, you have to loosen the neck screw to insert the lyre. It's terribly annoying, esp. since I bought it to use in a street band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I played an off brand horn , an ella from SF and its a taiwan horn. Nice player, bigger tone than my 82Z but not as complex. So I'll try the Dakota Tomorrow. I actually liked my P Mauret tenor tone years ago. It was a The Martin sound without all the ergo headaches. I'll let you guys know how it goes. His asking 1750 for it so he'll take 1500 probably. Its a 404 model whatever that means. I saw one new on a web store for 3K but that doesn't mean alot. K

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Years ago, when Jim Scimonetti had his store, and while I was waiting for my sax to be repaired, I tried out a Dakota alto, and it played very well! I was surprised! :whistle: It had a very resonant, rich sound to it, palm keys were nice and thick sounding, ergonomics were very nice. I probably would have bought it if it didn't have such a flashy finish to it,:yikes!: and I didn't care for the name, "Dakota", still don't:Rant:...but the horn played great!...kind of like my Super 20 alto.

And also out here in LA all the pros play Mark VI's, you can get by with playing a King, Conn, Yamaha, but I probably would have gotten lynched:shock: if I would have pulled out a "Dakota", while everyone was on their VI's.:mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts