Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
At the moment I've got a Wurlitizer (Martin) C-Mel and a Conn Straight-Neck and planning to get my hand on a Buescher C-mel next. I'm also planning on up grading my tenor from a Reynolds (Martin stencil). Are the C-mels any good as a guide to what to expect from say... the 10M, Big B or The Martin? Or it is as close as a VW to a Porche?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
(imho) The C-mels can be an indication of the type of tenor sound you could expect from the same manufacturer (and for tenors of the same period....), albeit not quite as ballsy, and as long as you use tenor mouthpieces.

Except maybe for the straight-neck Conn - apart from restrictions on use of tenor mouthpieces caused by the microtuner, I've never been able to get a Conn s/neck to sound like anything other than a big alto....

If you use the original 'C' mouthpieces, all bets are off..... I have to say you'd be much better off playing a 10M or The Martin tenor to see what one sounds like. I recently sold my The Martin tenor, and whilst the sound had some similarities to my 30's Martin C-Mel, using the same mouthpiece, I'd hardly describe them as sounding similar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts