Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

My son is a college horn player who plays a modern tenor STM. He wants to get a similar piece, but refaced to factory specs. A refacer I emailed said it would be a good idea to get an older, 70's or 80's piece as opposed to buying a new one. I sent a question back to him asking why he prefers to work on the older pieces but havn't heard back from him. Can anyone tell me why the older STM's would be preferable to the new? Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
many people prefer older Links, and also their facings are far far more consistent than modern pieces, but it is really all down to your opinion,

it's also worth trying lots of other stock modern STMs, since they vary so much, you could come across a better one anyway.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
People always want what they can't get. It's a fact of life.

I don't see anything wrong with modern mouthpieces. Just make sure you order a bunch of the same make and size and try them. In fact try as many as humanly possible. It's really that simple. Anything hand-done will be inconsistent. (Another fact of life.)

I tried (if my memory serves me right) a dozen Beechler Bellite 7 mouthpieces during my search. Well worth the time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
... older Links, and also their facings are far far more consistent than modern pieces,.
Why do you say that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
now it seems that the variation in modern STMs is far more, (not visually, but how you notice it when playing it) various, whereas older links seem to play more similarly, they still vary but not as much, especially with HR links
just my opinion

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
There's no such thing as factory specs and if there were no one would dare do that kind of sloppy work. Get the stm refaced and you'll have a great playing piece. Factory specs don't mean diddly when it comes to JJBabbit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts