Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,228 Posts
Shepp was really mixing and matching back then, putting different styles and different musicians together to create his potent musical alchemy. I used to wake up to this.....those were exiciting days!

Thanks for letting me revisit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Thanks Rolltrane - great stuff. I return to Shepp every time. I saw a lot of him in the seventies, when he was moving away from his 60ies exstatic outbursts and into mainstream jazz. He got a lot of critisism for that, but i always thought his playing remained fantastic. Not only could he get away with playing changes like Giant Steps (he cooked on that one!), he added a whole richness of tone and emotion to it.

Reine

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Well said by SideC. I often started my days with Attica Blues, There's A Trumpet In My Soul and The Cry of My People all of which I love to this day. Shepp besides being a compelling and original soloist really came up with some creative and varied styles and settings. One of the most original and daring figures of the post Trane era.

Thanks for posting this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I love Shepp's rawness and eloquence with a touch of a romantic too. more Shepp please?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts