Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a metal ARB soprano mouthpiece that looks quite similar to a Beechler (bellite?). I seem to recall hearing at one point that these were actually the same mouthpiece sold under differnt names. Does anyone know if that is true? Also, anyone have an idea as to value of this mouthpiece? It's in perfect condition with 7 on the table. Has original inverted ligature, although I think one of the screws is slightly stripped.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,003 Posts
That is pretty much true.

The ARB mouthpieces are very similar to the Brilhart Level Air and were made with Arnold Ross Brilhart (ARB) after he had sold the Brilhart Level Air name to Selmer.

I really love the old Level Air pieces, having bari, tenor and alto, but Brilhart never made a Level Air soprano piece. I emailed Beechler in 2003 to ask whether the ARB soprano piece was like the Level Air design (high baffle with a step) and this is what they replied:

"Our ARB mouthpieces are redesigns of the Level Aire done by Brilhart when he worked with us. The ARB Soprano doesn't have the high baffle and step off chamber simply because, as you suggested, it doesn't work well with the sound of the Soprano. We actually stopped making the ARB soprano two years ago as we were using the same blanks as used for the Beechler Soprano. The difference being the use of the Brilhart system of facing and facing numbers."

I haven't played one - how does it sound ?

Rhys

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I don't see the similarity to the level air so much, but maybe I'm thinking too much in terms of outward appearance as far as that rather distinct bite plate and beak shape. It's a nice enough playing mouthpiece. I'm not really into metal on a soprano, at least not anymore. I got it years ago when I was in an all metal phase. To be honest I hardly touch my soprano in general now. For someone who doesn't play it regularly this piece is a bit hard on the chops. For someone who specializes in soprano, and who is into the contemporary sound, I think it would be quite nice. It is a bit more mellow than I imagine say a Dukoff to be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts