Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think after using practically everything for alto I found the one I was looking for . The Beechler metal ARB .The closest to it that I liked were the dukoffs and metal bellites .close but the ARB is the one that does it for me. These can be played really bright or mellow . they subtone really well.I record myself with different mouthpieces all the time and for the first time I was pretty happy with the metal ARB .Im thinking about trying the tenor version and was wondering if anybody liked these or had any experience with them .I seem to recall trying one a long time ago and liking the sound but remembered that it wanted to go further up the sax neck to play in tune.I didnt want to ruin the cork for all my other mouthpieces (probably should have)any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've played a Bellite for many years. I have an older 6 from the 80's and a new 90's 7 that has a slight mod. Both play very well for me. I tend to use the 7 with a plasticover 3 for Rock and Roll and I use a 2 1/2 jazz select on the 6 for jazz (low volume, "dinner jazz"). I'm sure I could use either one at anytime. I do find they play a bit bright for me for concert band work and I keep a JJHR for that. Otherwise, the Beechler Bellites are all I use with any regularlity. I have heard some say the newer ones do not play as well. However, I have been fortunate with both of mine. On a slightly different "note", I used to play a Silversonic and the Bellite 7 just didn't seem to respond so well on it for some reason. I had used to Bellite 6 on it for around 20 years. However on my new tenor the Bellite 7 plays great.

·
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right .the regular bellites play good .especially the alto bellites. Ive had a few for tenor that were ok (one was really good)but I was asking about the ARB tenors.wondering if anybody had a comment on these? hey if you everv decide to sell that bellite 6 tenor or want a bellite 6 alto mouthpiece for it id do a trade. thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
Not so long ago I bought an ARB metal alto piece (not marked Bellite) marked 5 on the table which gave me a positive impression, even if I am not a metal man. For curiosity, being a Brilhart fan, I last week bought a similar tenor piece, marked 6 on the table. My first impression was not so positive as with the alto piece. It has a .095" tip which is my normal size,
but I had to find much softer reeds than normal in order to be able to get a sound. Both the alto and the tenor pieces have a bright and edgy sound, also in the deep register. Altissimo is very easy. On the tenor, I was able to overblow high D (one octave over the palm D) to the G above. That is a first time for me. The facing is very long on the tenor piece.
My curiosity has now been satisfied, and I am sure I will sell these two.

·
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your input peter.I am trying a ARB 6 on tenor too.havnt tried it yet .but if your interested in selling that ARB 5 alto I sent you a p.m.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know I'm a little late replying here but I love, Love,LOVE the ARB metal mouthpieces for alto and tenor saxophone. These mouthpieces are wonderful and very versatile for me. If I blow easy I have an Ernie Watts, Stan Getz tone on tenor and a Lennie Niehaus, Phil Woods tone on alto. If I push the mouthpiece I have a Michael Brecker, Gato Barbieri tone on tenor and a Nelson Rangell, David Sanborn tone on alto.

I used vintage Brilhart Level Air mouthpieces for years on my alto and tenor and they are practically identical to the ARB internally and tone wise. You have to get the vintage ones though, the ones with the large black bite plate, not the modern ones the sell today from Runyon with interchangeable plastic baffles.

Many people complain about these mouthpieces needing a lot more air to play than their other mouthpieces, but I never had a problem with mine. I played Otto Links and Meyers early on so perhaps that's why I can handle them easily. However, I noticed with my vintage Brilhart Level Airs; and any others that i have seen, that the previous owners didn't have the mouthpiece in their mouth enough and I believe that lead to the need of having to blow twice as hard to get a descent tone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts