Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Buescher TT C-Mel with the original mpc. It seems fine, but it might just be that I don't know any better. What might I expect if I get a new AquilaSax mpc? Metal or rubber...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
Rowka: I am not familiar with that particular mouthpiece but I suspect you may find a modern mouthpiece MUCH more free-blowing and fuller in tone.

My experiences with vintage mouthpieces has not been good. I marvel that the old jazzers were able to sound like they did on those things. They must've used planks on them to get any sound.

I have modern mouthpieces for my vintage saxophones, including C-Mels, and they ALL play better than vintage. Of course, everyone varies. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,148 Posts
I have a Buescher original mouthpiece and an Aquilasax HR. The new mouthpiece makes the horn play open and responsive in all registers and takes away the stuffy "I have a rag in me" sound. Worth the money for the new mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts

·
2,057 Posts
Not to take anything away from the Aquilasax mouthpieces, which are perfect for the more 'classic' C-mel sound, but, out of pure interest, I checked out the slim Couf (on the far right of the last two pics in the above link). Luckily I'd set the PC recording at the time, I may well put in 'some time' on this mouthpiece - this is on a late Martin C-Mel with plain old 60's rivet pads, Rico Royal #3 tenor reed, Couf J9*S tenor mouthpiece....

http://www.cmelodysax.co.uk/saxophones/sounds/slim-couf-1a.mp3

Intonation looks very good on the meter ! Now to record a decent sample, I'm sure I've got a backing track for 'Vermont' somewhere....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.
Jax, FL isn't a very sax friendly place so there isn't much in the way of mpc I can try without "ordering out."

·
2,057 Posts
Rowka - I'll bet Jax FL is more sax friendly than Dorset UK..........:(

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might be right. ;)

I'll keep an eye out on the classifieds for those listed a your faves.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I called Dave @ junkdude.com and asked to talk to Ralph Morgan, and Dave gave me his contact information, and I got Ralph to make me a Morgan for my C Melody. It has a tip opening of .105, and it blows really nice! My Buescher TT doesn't play stuffy at all anymore once I put on the Morgan!

Ralph really is the TRUE living legend of mouthpiece making. His pieces should cost upwards of $400+ in my opinion. They're THAT good.

·
2,057 Posts
Yes, Roger Aldridge (still out there Roger ?) used to rave about his Morgans, but I've never heard any sound samples of a Morgan on a C-mel (or come to that, most of the others... )

C'mon guys, I often risk complete humiliation :D by putting up links to my C-Mel, alto and C-Sop playing, anyone got any sound clips which show the characteristics of their favourite C-Mel mouthpiece, or indeed any others ? As with pictures, one sound is worth a thousand words !

·
Registered
198 Posts
Orginal C-mel CONN +Morgan Mps, etc

Alan,

great pics and info. Your site keeps getting better and better!! Thanks for the effort.

Rowka,
I have an original Conn MP(approx .05) with my Straight-neck C-mel. I ordered the Aquilasax Mp (approx.065) while the horn was being overhauled because of all the the woeful tales of original C-mel MPs. I started with the Aquilasax and it sure it help me out in the beginning.But eventually I switched over to the Conn eagle. Somehow it just felt and sounded right. I play by myself, so projection was not a concern. I eventully passed the the Aquilasax on to a new C-mel SOTW player.
I did have a big problem with the low end (motor boating) on BOTH of those MPs. I ordered a #4 (.08) C-mel from Ralph and the problem was gone. Done! No Mas! Kaput! Ralph's work is well worth the money and the wait. 12 weeks for me.

I do have an old Buecscher Alto MP (.065) that is one of my faves on that sax.
MM

PS - I saw Roger the other day. He still loves his morgan on his '34 Buescher tenor. I got a nice little concert. Gorgeous, haunting and beautiful tune. Alas, I think he is out of the C-mel business

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Hi Alan,

Mark told me that you were asking about me. I'm alive and well. I parted ways with the c-melody around 3 years ago after I got my hands on a '34 Buescher New Aristocrat tenor and it totally spoiled it for me on c-mel...alto too.

I've been focusing my playing on tenor sax, clarinet, bass clarinet (LOVE the bass clarinet!), and flutes. I'm in the process of getting an alto flute.

Cheers, Roger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts