Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1926 Buescher TT Alto, 1936 Holton Revelation Tenor, 1954 Holton 271 Bari
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has been renting a very bare-bones YTS-23 from our high school for three years now, and wants a new one. He's a good player, and knows enough that I think his horn's playability is holding him back. Problem is, his parents are the ones that are gonna be financing this (hey, we're sixteen, we have low incomes xD ) and they aren't comfortable in spending too much. He wants one that really can do him good, because he foresees playing well into college and needs a horn that could hold up. His budget needs to hover around $1000, which I know severely limits options.

I had known of his interest for a while, and told him I'd help him where I could. So, in my browsing for horns I could use myself (now I'm pleased with my Kessler) I stumbled upon Aquilasax. The C-mels are cool, but they also have Bb Tenors and Eb Altos. My question is simply: Are the C-mels really the only things good about the brand, or can their Bb's play well too?

Anyone who could give a complete answer would be immensely helpful. The Cost seems good, even with the near $100 shipping charge (far away, I get it). So, product details, shipping, all the info on the Aquilasax Bb Tenors SOTW can get me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Not a complete answer I am afraid but a recommendation based only upon my Aquilasax soprano.
I am not a soprano player but bought one of Steve's (Aquilasax) only because I did not own one & had never played one!....does that make sense to anyone?
I am still not a soprano player but the build quality is really superb,; I was astonished that something so good could cost so little. Soprano players who have tried mine all comment upon it's good intonation (for a soprano) & the sturdiness of it's construction.
In the highly unlikely event of me requiring yet another tenor....especially a new one, I would certainly consider Aquilasax....this based upon my soprano & the fact that Steve is such an honest & obliging chap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,781 Posts
for $1k he should have some decent options as long as he wouldn't mind getting something used, but in good shape. Vintage especially, but even some of the newer Taiwan horns like a used Barone. Check out the marketplace here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts