Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying an Aquilasax C Melody sax. The number of choices of finishes makes my head spin. Which ones are low-maintenance? Does unlacquered mean the finish will tarnish? What about brushed brass? I don't want something that will need to be polished.

Also, I'm a fan of synthetic reeds that I use on my alto. Can anyone recommend a synthetic reed to use on the C Melody?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I've heard that some players use their tenor mouthpiece on their C Melody. When I get mine, (soon, I'm hoping), I'm going to try this with my No. 2 Legere reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Considering buying an Aquilasax C Melody sax. The number of choices of finishes makes my head spin. Which ones are low-maintenance? Does unlacquered mean the finish will tarnish? What about brushed brass? I don't want something that will need to be polished.
Unlacquered mean the brass will tarnish. It can be a low maintainence finish inasmuch as you're not supposed to polish it...just let it tarnish. Sometimes though it starts to go green, and then it can be troublesome.
A lacquer finish only requires a little cleaning from time to time - a silver plated finish will need polishing.
Not sure about the brushed brass finish...depends if it has a coat of lacquer over it.

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,791 Posts
If you want a finish that requires little attention get yourself a nickel plate finish the only possible problem is wearing through the nickel plate

·
Registered
30 Posts
exmando:

I have an Aquila C-mel with two necks. One is shaped like an alto neck, one is shaped like a tenor neck. The bore on all of my tenor MPCs are too large for the C-mel, therefore I use a Selmer alto mpc with a #3 Plasticover reed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10RMAN - are you happy with the sound you get from using an alto mpc/reed? Which neck do you favor? I didn't order the alto style.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I've heard that some players use their tenor mouthpiece on their C Melody. When I get mine, (soon, I'm hoping), I'm going to try this with my No. 2 Legere reed.
The only Aqilasax that I own is a soprano. Steve is uncommonly obliging & it was apparently no bother to supply mine to my choice....matte silver (with bright silver highlights) & gold lacquered keywork. From memory he charged no extra for this; if he did, it was just pennies. He also supplied me, at very reasonable cost a set of tenor Paua "pearls" which I had to file down & fit (aren't some people picky). This finish is, of course, not the lowest maintenance option (milandro stated that) but it just requires the odd wipe over.
With regard to mouthpieces I, & others here, have always favoured tenor pieces. Currently I use a Jody Jazz ESP 100 around the house & an SR Fusion 115 for gigs.....always with a Fibracell Med/Hard baritone reed. You will see therefore that the C tenor is very accommodating with regard to mouthpieces. There are no intonation issues that cannot be "lipped up" (how I hate that expression :evil:)
You are, no doubt, aware that the Aquilasax C tenor was based on the Conn which is not the gutsiest (but probably the most ergonomic [until the arrival of the Aquilasax]) C tenor.
It has been said here many times that the most Bb tenor sounding C tenors are the Martin, the Buescher TT, the King (with horrendously positioned low C#) plus, I have recently discovered...the "Lyon & Healy American Professional" Buescher stencil.
Were I to play a Conn or an Aquilasax I think I would choose an alto or dedicated C tenor piece....but I am a tenor man at heart...just love the sound, range, size & flexibility of the C tenor though. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Regarding reeds: The Aquilasax C Melody mouthpiece uses C Melody reeds. It is impossible to get synthetic C Melody reeds but you could use bass clarinet synthetic reeds, they are a tad too long but work fine.

Modern C Melody mouthpieces are usually faced for tenor reeds and a synthetic reed can be used on them. I use a C Melody mouthpiece made by Morgan and Fibercell reeds. Other manufacturers make C Melody mouthpieces faced for tenor reeds, just shop around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Exmando:

Although I like the Aquila tenor neck, for some reason the ergonomics are better (to me) with the the alto neck. Perhaps I should shed the tenor neck more.

Yes, I do like the alto neck/mpc set-up.

Incidentally, I got a bare brass model and had JandJ Woodwinds pimp it up.:TGNCHK:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I use a new Aquilasax Metalpro mouthpiece on my 1921 Buescher C-Tenor, with Rico-Royal Bb Tenor reeds, which work perfectly...and it is a great sounding combination!...very gutsy, much closer to a Bb tenor than an alto. Recommended for this sax.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Thanks for this thread. My Aquilasax should arrive in the next two weeks and I'm looking forward to trying the HR and Metalpro that will come with it as well as my collection of tenor pieces. I gave away my alto pieces last year which is a shame, but a friend has them so I can at least try them and I'm sure if I like one he'll give it back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts