Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some fun today and recorded a video of my playing and uploaded it to youtube:)

I hope you guys enjoy it!
Not sure why it has a classical vibe, I've never played or listened to classical music before, I just focused on playing something beautiful.

Tomorrow it's back to practicing as per usual, today was a nice break from the typical trials and teibulations of my practice regime.

https://youtu.be/VomD75GfxtE

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had some fun today and recorded a video of my playing and uploaded it to youtube.https://youtu.be/VomD75GfxtE
Boy, what fun you have playing that classical-style improvisation! And you are mixing in just a whiff of swing, too. You were wondering earlier, why you appear to sound the same on all instruments you tried. Listening to your playing, I would not worry about that. Your heart seems to be in the right place: express yourself in new music, all the time. I hope you have found an instrument you are comfortable with. Now forget about it and let your heart guide you.

Your music is luminous, major throughout. Mine comes out on the dark, tense side, minor throughout.

Dare be yourself! And keep it up, don't drop it again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy, what fun you have playing that classical-style improvisation! And you are mixing in just a whiff of swing, too. You were wondering earlier, why you appear to sound the same on all instruments you tried. Listening to your playing, I would not worry about that. Your heart seems to be in the right place: express yourself in new music, all the time. I hope you have found an instrument you are comfortable with. Now forget about it and let your heart guide you.

Your music is luminous, major throughout. Mine comes out on the dark, tense side, minor throughout.

Dare be yourself! And keep it up, don't drop it again.
I really appreciate that:)
If I'm playing with background music, I have an easier time creating rhythms with more of a be-bop feel I've come to realize. I am no longer going to hate the way I play if it doesn't sound like others, I'm going to embrace my personal style of playing and let it grow, seeing where it leads.

I love my Cannonball! The feel, ergonomics, and the lower registry. Mid and High registry, response and resistance not as much - Which is why I'm simply saving up for a better quality sax neck (KB) I'm after the M61 Brass. That horn and that neck will be marvellous.
Going to do some practicing and then I'm heading to an open mic:) Today is going to be fun! I'm thinking I'll play All of me followed by So What. This will be the third time on stage!

If you search me up on Instagram you'll see a bunch more clips of my playing - All with backing tracks. I thought about throwing them up on youtube but there no longer on my phone:( I do have a video clip on youtube from 5 months ago, 1 month after picking the horn back up. I'm floored by the comparison, I didn't realize my tone, fluidity, articulation, Ideas have come as far as they have in such a short amount of time. Later this month I'm going to start private lessons with a phenomenal player "Jim Brenan" He will really help further develop my strengths and weaknesses.

Have a wonderful weekend guys:)

My IG: - Pleiadian_prince

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
You sound good. You have good intonation and a definite feel for music - go for it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!
I threw two videos up on my YouTube channel from the open mic yesterday. It was intense! They chose a tempo for both songs I had never practiced before. This was only my third time performing there to boot! And my real book had a very weird interpretation of impressions. I felt so far outside of my comfort zone! Given that, I feel I still played well, it was a wonderful experience to be so rattled up with zero warm up to boot! Great preparation for when I start to gig.

It's easy to play your best when your comfortable, relaxed and can deeply connect to your horn. Stir things up abit and you'll really notice your strengths and weaknesses.

It was still a blast:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts