Sax on the Web Forum banner

Appraisal Berg 120/2 offset M & Otto Link STM Ny 6* Modded By Eric Drake

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  jambsspiii 
#1 ·
Hi all,

These are both Tenor MPC's.

Questions regarding the Berg Larsen.

- Is this an offset m model?
- I read the vintage models ~50's have denim machining on the table which this one appears to have am I seeing this right?
- I'm looking to sell and wanted to know what a good asking price would be?
- This came with a horn that I got on ebay and I don't know a lot about them.

Questions for regarding the Otto Link STM

- This particular piece was modified by Eric Drake to sound like the Vintage NY Otto Link Pieces as you can see his stamp is on the side
- I liked this piece but I have a newer STM NY that I had refaced by Phil Tone that I prefer so I wanted to see what your thoughts were on value as I am looking to sell?

Pictures are attached so you can see the condition of the pieces.

Thanks all for your insight and help! I'll post more pics in following posts.

Wood Font Rectangle Metal Fashion accessory
Automotive exterior Office supplies Auto part Wood Metal

See less See more
#6 ·
The Berg is indeed an "offset M" variation, which simply refers to the fact that the "M" is stamped slightly to the right of the numbers above it. Obviously that has no bearing on how it plays...it is simply indicative of it being an older one. It also does have the denim mill marks, which further narrows it down to being a bit older than an offset with horizontal marks. I'm not sure when they actually changed their milling procedure, so I can't say whether it is 1950's...I thought maybe they did the denim style at least into the 60's, but I might be wrong...I just seem to recall reading that at some point. As for value, I'd say in the $300-350 range bc it has a relatively desirable larger tip opening. I've sold a few with smaller tip openings (85 and 90) for $250 in the last few months.

#8 ·
It would help if we knew the tip size of the Link after the modification. IOW, maybe its bigger than a 6* now? The Berg has the '50s-style numbering font. I'll venture a guess that its a good one, but with the corrosion and pitting on the table, its not going to fetch top dollar. 60 years ago we thought stainless steel was non-corrosive so we never took the reed off and wiped the table after playing, and you can see what happens. That's a mild example - the Level Air I played from '66 to '89 has craters in the table. Doesn't really affect anything but still...

#14 ·
It was mentioned that the Berg has corrosion on the table. The pictures of the table are slightly misleading while there are a few nicks here and there the corrosion appears to be super light on the surface with no pitting from the corrosion and could be removed with the slightest touch up.

I appreciate everybody's comments so far they have been very helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.