Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I graduated from Berklee in the summer of '90 (YIKES) with a Bachelors in Woodwind Performance. It was an incredible experience and I'm glad I did it. BUT...... Yeah, there's always a "but". I still have good friends who teach there (one of which frequents this forum) and the cost of going there now is simply mind blowing compared to what it was way back when I was there. Plus, I managed to snag about a 3/4 scholarship, combined with using my GI Bill money from 4 yrs of active duty in the USAF Band, the financial hole I was in after graduating in 3 yrs. was minimal and I paid it off within a couple of yrs. Do NOT...... I repeat, do NOT put yourself into a huge financial hole just to go to a "name school". To be blunt, it's just asinine to do, especially in this day and age. No matter if it's Berklee, UNT, Miami, wherever......go to the place that throws the most money at you and if at all possible, hold out for more. Try to get grants, not student loans.
Lastly, I know MANY great players who went to little, no-name schools and guess what? They do the same gigs I do and have the same opportunities. Never have I been asked prior to being hired for a gig or to teach, where I went to school and although I'm proud of my piece of paper from Berklee, it doesn't matter where you get that piece of paper from. You can either play and/or teach, or you can't.

Good luck with things!
John

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Agreed with Steve as well. However, I have a performance degree and have NEVER been state certified to teach anywhere I've lived, but I've been teaching at music stores, public and private schools for 26 yrs. now. You do NOT need an Ed. degree to teach. To be a band director, yes.....but to teach, no.
For what it's worth, I'll put my teaching abilities up against any music ed. person....any day of the week. I've had and have known great teachers and hideous ones as well in my life. Some of them had Ed. degrees, some didn't. There's no magical formula/piece of paper to being a good teacher or player.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts