Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was just given a sax that is in sad shape. I haven't played in years, and i' really excited about the idea of getting back into it. But before I get started I would like to know what I have. I could swear that I've heard of this make before but I can't find ANY information on it. It has no serial number.

The springs and pads are fubar, and with two exceptions (see photos) all the keys are there and are functional. It has no neck or mouth piece.

Any help in letting me know what I've got, and how much repairs should run just to get it working, would be really appreciated.

This could easily be bent out for the time being.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I fixed the images in your post for you.
The D#/C pinkie key shape make me think it might be an Olds or Armstrong horn.
Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok

SAXISMYAXE said:
I fixed the images in your post for you.
The D#/C pinkie key shape make me think it might be an Olds or Armstrong horn.
Cheers.

Are parts readily available for what I've go here?

I could do the tear down and rebuild myself but I'm not sure about the parts I'll need. All damage to the keys is shown in the photos.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Cheers Edbird. I had to delete your second attempt at posting the photos as the image size takes up a lot of space.

It looks like this horn needs a bit more than just a repad. Just a cursory look shows a number of key guard posts have come unsoldered, and the low C# key post is off and missing.

The key post can be fabricated by a tech, but the cost might not be worth it. I have a number of extra posts in my workshop that I might be able to spare. If you measure the exact height from the post's base to the center of the key rod (in Millimeters), I'll see if I have one that will work. You might have to make a few modifications (such as drilling the center to accommodate your key rod diameter), but it will be adaptable.

Factory spare parts for a relatively obscure horn like this are next to impossible to find

This might be take a bit of money to put right, on what is a student horn. Let's see what others have to say about the possible make/model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts