Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
martysax said:
I'll be in Colorado Springs in a few weeks. Is there anything I should check out that's in the area? Is there a sax store or jazz dive hiding among the Republican strongholds?

I lived there back in 1988. Colorado is my home state! Unfortunately, that was a time I wasn't doing much with sax and music so I can't give much advice on jazz clubs. There is one place mentioned called Cedar's that you may want to check into.

Go stroll around Manitou Springs and take a hike. :D

You could ride the cog railway up Pikes Peak.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Another place that may be worth visiting is Canon City. I don't mean the maximum security prison that's there either. :D

The Royal Gorge IS worth a visit and it's near there.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Join the Army and visit Ft. Carson. I did my basic training there. Shrub is looking for more meat for his next invasion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
You say that like Harleys and guns are bad things?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
spartacus said:
Join the Army and visit Ft. Carson. I did my basic training there. Shrub is looking for more meat for his next invasion.

You were in the Army??:shock: :shock: Oh so thats where the don't ask dont tell policy came from. :D :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

Yeah that was a good one.

·
3,426 Posts
Simon Weiner said:
You were in the Army??:shock: :shock: Oh so thats where the don't ask dont tell policy came from. :D :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

Yeah that was a good one.
Thanks for your input Simon, you reminded me that there is a Transgender hospital in Colorado Springs. Maybe you could show Marty around the old stomping grounds and he could pick up some new jokes, or get a facelift.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
spartacus said:
Thanks for your input Simon, you reminded me that there is a Transgender hospital in Colorado Springs. Maybe you could show Marty around the old stomping grounds and he could pick up some new jokes, or get a facelift.

You know, I tell you something in confidence and you tell everyone. Now the secrets out. Thanks Man.
Marty if you are interested let me know.

·
3,426 Posts
Simon Weiner said:
You know, I tell you something in confidence and you tell everyone. Now the secrets out. Thanks Man.
Marty if you are interested let me know.
Marty's very interested - NOW.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
spartacus said:
:D ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Hey Marty, take a day trip up north to Golden, you gotta do the Coors brewery tour. I've done it 4 times, its a nice free tour. You get free drinks at the end of the tour too! Not that Coors products are anything special, but this brewery is very impressive. The largest in the world, if I am not mistaken. You can also get some tasty lunch at several resturants in Golden. I have a pretty good feeling that your alcohol tolerances are high, but wait till you start drinking in that altitude. There's nothing like a "Rocky Mountain High".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,455 Posts
Wonder what a sax would sound like at 14,111 feet above sea level? (Top of Pikes Peak.)

Or, how about on the suspension bridge across the Royal Gorge? Or take the "elevator to the bottom of the Gorge and play. Awesome echos, eh?

Man, I envy you going to Colorado Springs. The country is beautiful. Don't know anything about the night life though so can't help you there, sorry. Others got the low down for ya though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
bobsax said:
Go south to where the action (and good food) is down in Pueblo.]
Known by Coloradoans as "PU Town" in honor of its industrial aroma.

Get up into the high country. Cross the divide at Independence pass. Visit Leadville.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I lived there for eight years before moving to MA in 2004.

Downtown Colorado Springs is not at all a dump.. there are several good restaurants (check out El Tesoro next to the old railroad station, or better yet look up Amanda's Fonda for Mexican cuisine), a brewpub with 'real' pool tables upstairs (Phantom Canyon), hip coffee shops, etc.

A good hike close to town is the loop trail known as Section 16. Ask locally for directions. A little further up Hwy 24 (past Manitou Springs) is Waldo Canyon, another nice one.

Music (to answer your original question) - go see the Springs Contemporary Jazz Big Band if you're there on a Wednesday; they play at the Thirsty Parrot downtown. It's led by a trumpeter who's a North Texas guy. If Brad Eastin is still their first tenor player, you're in for a treat. I subbed for him for the 2nd set a number of times when he had a regular gig at the Irish pub down the street. Check the Independent (free weekly) for other music listings; not a ton of jazz when I was there, but there was some.

No good sax store while I was there. Tim Glesmann at Sax Alley would be a good guy to visit, but he's north of Denver, a bit of a hike from C. Springs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,548 Posts
Greetings from Colorado Springs got shut down.

I'm curious
Did it get shut down because of the toy guns or because the guy with the eclipse icon wouldn't shut up about guns?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts